Sign in to follow this  
purple-rado

Lumpy idle on warm start ups (1.8 16valve)

hi guys,

just a quick question, would any of you know the cause for warm starting problem. The car starts fine in the morning but after driving around and engine at normal temperature, if i park up for a while (30 mins) and then start her she will idle very lumpy. I have to rev the engine several times for the lumpy idle to disappear. Its just seems a little weird that this should only happen while the engine is warm then when its cold in the mornings when this problem doesnt occur.

Its a 1.8 16valve if that should help.

Many thanx

OK, here goes my definitive KR engine CO setup guide which has worked time and time again over 6 years of 16v ownership:-

1. Get the car up to temp and switch off.

2. Disconnect the idle valve circuit by disconnecting the large red spade connector behind the ignition coil.

3. Pull the breather hose off the airbox and plug the airbox hole.

4. Restart the car and the idle will be very lumpy and slow.

5. Using a 6mm socket, turn the brass screw on the throttle body anti clockwise until the idle is at 1000rpm.

6. Insert a long 3mm allen key in the little hole in front of the air boot on the airbox.

7. Turn the allen key (don't press down on it) anti clockwise or clockwise until the idle is dead smooth. Use small 1/8th turns and rev the engine each you time you make an adjustment.

8. Switch off and reconnect items 2 and 3.

Your 16V engine is now set to 2% base CO which is what KR 16Vs run best at.

If this doesn't cure your lumpiness when warm, you need to investigate air leaks and perhaps your fuel accumulator is dying.

Kev

Had exactly the same problem with mine. Easily fixed by replacing the coolant temp sender that communicates with the ECU. When these go they can cause the car car to over-fuel, i.e- your choke is out when starting from hot. The genuine part is only £14, definately worth a try! Let me know how you get on,

ELZ