Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Oil leak

Have noticed a few oil spots on the garage floor under the driver's side of the engine. Had a look underneath, and that side of the engine is very gunked up. Looks like it's been leaking for a while. It appears to be coming from the area around the bottom of the cambelt cowling. Not a major leak, as the oil level stays pretty constant.

Any idea what this would be coming from? Some sort of seal? Easy/cheap fix?

Also had my rocker cover gasket done at Stealth recently, but it still seems to be weeping a little in plug 2. Thought this may just be residue from before, but I've wiped it away and it comes back. Any ideas?

Cheers!

I would throw it back to Stealth if they changed the gasket and it's still leaking. It sounds as though the central part of the cam cover gasket is allowing oil into the plug recess.

Best wishes

RB

Cheers chaps. Yeh, think I'll give Stealth a call. It's a bit of a journey though, so a bit of a PITA!

Any ideas about the other leak from under the plastic cambelt cowling?

There are semi-circular plastic plugs at each end of the head, in line with the inlet camshaft, which should have been replaced at the same time as the cover gasket. Maybe the one at the drive belt end is leaking into the belt cowling and dripping down.

Best to check straight away because you don't want oil contamination of the cam belt.

Best wishes

RB