Sign in to follow this  
ilovemycar

flashing and beeping - erk!

So, after an oil and filter change, and one pressure switch changed over (apparently there are two?) the oil light is still coming on and flashing and beeping. Usually comes on only after the car has done a few miles and is warm - occasionally if I blip the accelerator it goes off, then comes back on.

Wil get the other switch replaced, asap, but there are people saying "could be the head gasket, you know" and that sounds bad. Any ideas?

It's a semi synthetic oil, and would have been a German and Swedish switch/filter.

Apparently the vw Polo's had some sort of problem behind the dash, so will get that checked out, hope I can get it sorted soon, it's completely doing my head in, plus don't want to drive it far/fast in case it is an engine problem, but it's not getting hot and is running fine.

Dont panic but...

My car did this. After searching and starting posts i discovered it was (probably) 1 of 2 things.

Dodgy sender, or a foobarred engine. Mine was the latter. :(

It started in January, and i got it pressure tested, to find it didnt have much, if any at all! I 'put-up' with at, because at the time i couldnt afford to replace the engine, or have the bottom end rebuilt.

On saturday, after getting progressively worse my headgasket went, which im certain is a direct result of not sorting the problem in the first place.

Replacing the oil pump (GSF) or having the bottom end rebuilt were other 'solutions' that were suggested. too late now....

I am now in the process of finding & replacing the engine. :(

I'd get the oil pump checked... had a similar problem with mine a couple of years ago but when mine went it dumped oil all over my car park (3 times :roll: )

Good luck