Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

overheating! eek!

on the way in to work this morning i was stuck in traffic holding the car on the bite of the clutch, and steam started coming up from under the bonnet! pulled over as soon as i could, popped the bonnet open and it looked like it was coming off the top of the radiator. As i was pannicing wondering what to do it gradually stopped, so i risked the rest of the drive in to work. Seemed to drive fine, and i didnt see any more steam, but i'm a bit concerned....

Hi,

Not being funny mate but it's not exactly good for the car (especially the clutch) to hold it on the biting point! Was there a funny smell when you were outside the car?

You shouldnt be able to get smoke of the clutch though really- Did the water tempreture shoot up on the dash and the oil on the MFA?-

yeah, its a bad habbit i know :(

There was a bit of a smell when i lifted the bonnet, but i'm pretty sure it wasnt burnt clutch smell thankfully!

Oil and water temps didnt shoot up...

whats the water level looking like mate? I burst a coolant hose a few weeks ago, that was dripping onto the manifold (lots of steam), and the "funny smell" (if it is steam) is anti-freeze, as a mate said, it smells like butter scotch :?

If it was a burst pipe etc, the water level will have dropped, check that first, then you'll know if you are actually losing water.

Thera