Sign in to follow this  
mo_527

power increase

Hello everybody after searcing for about 3 month i still have not found a G60 within in my budget, so i have decided to go for a 2.0l 16v. Is it possible to increase the bhp without fitting a turbo? and without spending thousands?

Cheers

Mo

OR you could G-charge the bugger like i did!,2 metal head gaskets,new head bolts,SNS stg.5 chip(Absolute must),rig up a few brakets,go to breakers with cardboard box and get loads of different types, a couple of different size ribbed belts,(breaker again),intercooler,many types available,ebay etc.

And it just so happens that that VEEDUBBED has a spare charger,mounting braket,spare G60 ecu,throttle bodys,air box and quite a few other bits.

Belive me,i've had turbo 16valve golfs,corrados and they were very quick, but i love this conversion,lovely and neat factory look as soon as you open the bonnet.

The only problem i've encountered is the dreaded belt slip which i can't seem to eradicate.

VEEDUBBED, you make it sound soooo easy! Thought charging a 16v was a bit tricky...

Any engine pics?

Nice! Wanna do this 8) ! Will have to wait a while though :(

Has it been reliable? Any major probs? Any idea of the power it's putting out?

Well,i was lucky because i found a corrado that had been abandoned in a lock-up for around 8 years and had only 30000miles clocked,when i took the head off to put another gasket on to reduce CR the engine's internals were spotless,no way i'm going to start changing pistons,bearings etc on an engine that good.

I'm also lucky that i do everything my self and have about 5000 square meters of land with lock-ups already there so i've no problem of storage space,i've got proper tools,engine crane,stands,jacks etc.

I started the g-charger work last year,all in it took about 6 months to finish as i did all the restoration work aswell,all in my spare time,weekends,holidays.

To do a job like this takes time if you want a reliable car,i've done 4000 thousand km's since starting and have had no problem apart from belt tension issues,unfortunatly there's no room for the O/E tensioner so i keep making up varios pulley arangements to try and compensate.

I have'nt a clue how much power the car makes,rolling roads over here are very rare and the operators don't no shiyte when presented with something like this..,i only know that on the motorway it wipes the floor with Audi S3's.TT's etc and it only puts out 0.5bar pressure with a 68mm pulley because the bloody belt slips at higher rpm.

Well i've got most bits if you decide to do the same,let me know what you need and i'll sort you.

1 thing's for sure,when the car's ready and runs properly you'll find any excuse to get in it drive and enjoy it,it's that kind of car.

VEEDUBBED, thanks for that. I'm really tempted to get this done in the future. If it took you 6 months, it'd probably take me 5 years though!

Re: belt slippage- can't you get a toothed set up? Sure somebody makes them.

Can't be done mate,my set-up is completly custom made out of bits off varios G60's,16valave 'rados,audi 80 8v's.

1 long belt runs the g-charger,water pump(2.9 VR pulley),alt(VR6 120 amp) and about 4 tensioner wheels so i won't be able to find a toothed belt that long.

VEEDUBBED, betcha you can! ;) The toothed belts used in these kits are industrial drive belts, not cam-belts and I KNOW that they are available upto 3 meters long and probably even longer! :lol:

I reckon that your main problem would be getting the pullies machined as you've used such a unique combination of parts to get what you needed... 8)

Henny,could you give me some details of the company you know who makes the longer belts?,thanks.

there's LOTS of companies... As I said, they're just industrial drive belts, so you can pretty much get one in any length and any width...

The belt on mine is a GATES belt, but I've had a Fenner and another one (can't remember the brand) in the past too... Go into a bearing retainler and the odds are they'll be able to get the belt you need... 8)