Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

OIL LEAK

HEY

my corrado vr6 has a oil leak, At first i thought it was coming from the new filter as it appeared to happen just after it was changed.

however now it seems to be coming from just above the filter?

on thing i have noticed is the filter was metal on both sides and looked the same, ive put another one on today and its plasic on both sides and not the same

THIS NEW ONE ENDS IN A B

The oil cooler seals have probably gone. Its a silver thing above where the oil filter is.

Did you buy a genuine VW oil filter. And if so is it the one that is on your car. If not, I suggest getting a genuine one on, as all others are no good and may cause problems/damage. The VW have a special design that keeps the oil up, or something like that.

Only use VW filters!!

T.

yes it was genuine however the one i put in last month and the one i put in today aint the same???

they both have the same code but one ends in A the other in B

THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE todays one is plastic and the bottom and top are different the other is all metal

As long as they are genuine then it should be fine. Maybe they have redesigned them. All my ones have been metal.

If the plastic one ends in 'B'. That means its a revised part. The higher the letter the more times it has been re designed.

Is the oil leak above the filter then??

well to tell you the truth, yjis fiter ending in B did fit alot better, firstly ITS EASY TO TELL WHAT WAY ROUND IT GOES, the BOTTOM end has groves in it what seem to slide straight into the groves on the lower filter casing..

what i did think was strange was the B filter has no metal what so ever , NOT even the metal mesh inside it, just COTTON...........

NOW the leak happend when i chaged the filter before, the OLD filter was the same as ALL my old filters , SO i dont think its a filter problem??

it seems to b coming from the metal filter housing the upper part joined onto the engine block.................

IS this common? ANYONE HAD TO CHANGE THERES? this leak only happends when the car is RUNNING and it is prettty major as you can see it dripping like A DROP EVERY 2 SECONDS

help.............

JUST PUT MOBILE 1 IN IT.......... what a waste!

First off. What weight is the mobil 1 oil you have used?? Hope its not 0w40 stuff.

Is the oil coming from the part of the oil filter housing?? or is it coming from the silver type thing that is on the front of the engine just above the filter housing?

If its coming from the latter, thats known as the oil cooler. It has two water pipes going into it. Often the seals on them go. Really easy to fix.

Maybe a picture of where's it leaking from would be helpful.

T.

If the plastic one ends in 'B'. That means its a revised part. The higher the letter the more times it has been re designed.

Thats wrong in this case, they are just different parts for different cars - the correct part number for a Corrado VR6 is 021 115 562 which is a box that contains the O ring seal and filter (021 115 561 - not available seperatly as the wrong part always gets supplied)

I can't believe the amount of places that seem to order the wrong filters as there is only one listed for a C - there should be no prefix at the end of the part number!!!

ok first in reply to TIMO

yep the mibile 1 was 0/40 ... i know its a risk and maybe silly in a old vr6 but even with the 10/40 santa it was the same.....

Yes it is coming from just above the filter housing BUT it seems to b coming from the metal filter housing, the part you screw the filter holder into( the metal bit joint onto the engine block) perhaps it is the oil cooler seals, at a glance it seems to be coming from the bolts holding the filter block on.........

OK as for SUPERCHANRGED

god know whats happening with my filter all i know is there always from VW main dealers and they always have a letter at the end and weather it ends in a A or b they really aint the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ehy does everyone say the oil cooler fings are easy to chage? i cant even see the thing half the time.......... :twisted:

Oil cooler seals are easy to change. A bit fiddly getting room to work, but easy.

I once put mobil 1 0w40 in mine. It used the oil like it was petrol. Its far too thin for the vr6 and its rather expensive too.

Supercharged, Noted mate, cant get things right all the time.

T.

just checked the filters and there all 021 115 562 except that tey all ave either A or B AFTER THAT

do gsf sell the cooler seals?

mariovr6, where are you getting the parts from? - if you ask VW for a filter for a corrado VR6 they should order the part number I gave you above, or you can just order by that number...

the filters are always vw main dealers.............

and they either read part num 021 115 562A OR 021 115 562B

think vw get confused at times. dont help me much though