Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

abs light always on

hey all

my abs light on my 93 vr6 has come on, it is on when i turn on the ignition and stays on, i have seen a few threads when it comes on, then goes off, then comes on when the car moves,

but this is always on,

i was under the bonnet changeing the coolant dont know if i could have knocked something,

any idea's very much appreciated

nick

If its on before you even move then a sensor is down (open circuit or unplugged)

Start by unplugging the fronts at the tops of the suspension turrets and measureing resistance then checking connections, if nothing found then you can try the same with the rears (plug in under rear seats) but VAGCOM is a quicker optiion...

ok i have spent some time with a multi meter and found the rear off side not reading, the rest are 1.2 i guess it is totaly gone but is there any other reason that it could read 0. i am so used to the car having faults that turn out to be something else,so i would like to be as sure as poss, if it is gone, is it a pig to fix, please tell me i dont need to run the cable all the way from the wheel to under the seat, i have done a front one, i guess the back one is a bit tricky, also is there any way of reseting that sensors or does it not need it, does an 93 vr6 with a 2 pin vag.com conector remember codes etc or does it lose them when the ignition is tured off,

thanks guys

if anyone in the london area has a vag.com with 2x2 conectors would it be poss to put my car on it, i would love to see what else my little hole in the pocket has in store next, it would be realy apriciated, im in west london but will travel where ever,

cheers

nick

if one isn't reading at all then it'll be a sensor thats shot.

If the sensor isn't reading with a multimeter then it will show as being fooked on VAGCOM too.

less than 20 quid (about, can't remember) for a sensor from GSF.

I changed the fronts, which from looking at them are easier than the rears.

one thing that you could try is, there will be a plug that plugs onto the sensor itself, check thats clean etc, I am assuming you took the reading from end of the cable nearest the car (if that makes sense?) if its still reading zero from there, get ya spanners out :(

Its not a hard job, took me 30 mins or so, and thats removing and replacing the wheel too.

and remember when ordering that they side specific

ok after much calling around i cant even seem to get a rear sensor except speciat order from v dub, any idea's where i might be able to get one????

nick

I'm 99% sure I ordered mine from GSF mate, have you rung them?

I'll check when I get home (I have the reciepts)

sorry mate, just been all through my file and I can't find the reciept for the speed sensor anywhere.

it was definately from either GSF or EuroCar parts.

ring them and ask

I don't think GSF or ECP do them - they are about £70 from VAG...

I think it has to be that as it comes with a cable attached so where you took the reading from (under the seat) is the only place it plugs in... I've not changed one but I don't think they're too bad to do from what I have heard...

Someone at BVF had one for sale - might have been Paul Kippax (KIP VW)?

Your ABS ECU will retain the faults but it will work after it's changed ok without clearing them with VAGCOM, just at the moment it fails the startup test as one of the 5 sensors is down so the light stays on and hence the ABS is disabled.

5 sensors, is that 4 on the wheels and is the other one a speed sensor? where is that?

just in case it helps any one else i found out from a freind at vw in surrey, that the rear sensor is the same on a few cars, golf mk2 90/92 jetta 90;92 passat 88-97,

i have seen a few on ebay but i am waiting to see the part numbers are correct,

i will keep you informed, oh if there is anyone who has done a rear sensor before it would be great to hear some advice,

by the way supercharged, are you a mk1 golf man? do you have one?

cheers

nick

I don't think GSF or ECP do them - they are about £70 from VAG...

I think it has to be that as it comes with a cable attached so where you took the reading from (under the seat) is the only place it plugs in... I've not changed one but I don't think they're too bad to do from what I have heard...

Someone at BVF had one for sale - might have been Paul Kippax (KIP VW)?

Your ABS ECU will retain the faults but it will work after it's changed ok without clearing them with VAGCOM, just at the moment it fails the startup test as one of the 5 sensors is down so the light stays on and hence the ABS is disabled.

:lol:

GSF and eurocar parts did do them, and no, they don't come with the cable attached, thats why I suggested testing both ends :)

if you read a break with a multimeter then VAGCOM is just gonna show that.

idd, the light is on, as obviously it can't have ABS on one side and not the other, so it disables it

nickeboy, the 5th sensor is for the brake pedal position (BPPS) - located under the master cyl on the servo.

nah I've never had a mk1, a few mk2's tho... just have a craving for a mk1 at the mo...

']['H3R4POR - they must have been the wrong sensors then as I've not fitted a rear but every one i've seen comes with the loom attached - thats why they are so expensive, the muppets at GSF/Euro probably just think they're the same as the fronts...

cool thanks,

definatly recomend a mk1 i had a string of them, great cars, the corrado is the nearest thing i found to the mk1 feel with all the mod cons,

thanks for the help

nick

This has definatly been the most helpful thread i've read, thing about my abs light (also on permanatly) is that when i took it to a vw specialst their vag-com wont read my car or other way round so i'm kinda stuck what to do. Is it worth getting on the one at a dealers? And where and what do the sensors look like on the wheels? Is there a plug etc? Checked connections under the seat/suspension, all looks ok but haven't a multi meter.

the best thing to do is get a multi meter , and check all four wheel sensors, put the meter across the terminals that go to the wheels and it should read around 1.2, i have done it twice now and both time's it uncovered a dodgy sensor! you have found the back connectors by the sound of it, the front ones are on the suspention turets,

the actual sensors are at the back of each disk, you will see them with a wire coming from them, im sure there are some pic's on here, i found a good guide somewhere here before,

it seems that the most comom faults are the front sensors, 30 quit german&S pretty straight forward to change all be it with a lot of knocking banging swearing etc, the rear i will have to do soon so i will let you know, i found the rears for 59 quid on ebay, then i guess your looking at pumps and controllers and things, more expencive to fix, but less likely, and if you look in the parts for sale there seems to be lots of bits there!

my advive is, multi meter, (saves 40 quit on vagcom) if thats all good then vagcom, before you start pulling things apart,

nick

This has definatly been the most helpful thread i've read, thing about my abs light (also on permanatly) is that when i took it to a vw specialst their vag-com wont read my car or other way round so i'm kinda stuck what to do. Is it worth getting on the one at a dealers? And where and what do the sensors look like on the wheels? Is there a plug etc? Checked connections under the seat/suspension, all looks ok but haven't a multi meter.

first thing to do is find a multimeter and test the the terminals in the plugs.

you should read a uniform resistance across them, if one reads as an open circuit the speed sensor is dead, and it will need replacing (this is an easy fix).

the front plugs are on the struts under the bonnet, and the rears are under the seats.

I really would get that fixed, as i've driven mine a couple of times without the ABS and it goes sideways with the slighest touch on the brakes (in the wet).

If/when it rains goto a carpark, and try and lock-up the brakes, the easy way to see if your ABS is disabled.

gl

['H3R4POR]

If/when it rains goto a carpark, and try and lock-up the brakes, the easy way to see if your ABS is disabled.

I would have to say that the easiest way to see that your ABS is disabled is to look at the ABS light ... If it's on, it's disabled ...

its more the changing the rear sensor that it was thinking about, i know how to get the sensor out i was just woundering how to route the wire, there is not alot of room between the trailing arm and the bottom of the car, is it just a case on alot of fiddling around, or do i need to drop the arm,

cheers

nick

Thought i'd add to this post rather than start up a new one, bought my '92 G60 recently and discovered that the abs light has had it's internals pulled out. The MOT is due up in a couple of months so starting to worry bout it passing. Heard alot about vagcom and/or a multi meter but ain't very electrically minded so how do i test my system with the multi meter? wanna try and rule out the obvious bits first before i start thinkin about a new abs pump! also on start up there is not peddle judder but the peddle does clunk. and all fuses seem to be fine under the passenger side footwell.

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Right just to sort things out, got a multi meter now. So the plugs are the same type under the bonnet and under the seats? Are these the ones to test? Do i connect the MM to the male or female connectors? Should the car be running or just switched on? Cheers

BlackValver, you just need to measure the resistance of the sensor so no engine on and the side you want to test is male (i think) - the one running down to the sensor itself...

Stick the meter on the Ohms setting and see how you get on and report your findings back here...

they are femal going to the sensors on mine but im sure you will get it, it a pain getting both prons of the meter in there, but then i might just have big mm,

so i have a wierd thing with mine, i found one of the back sensors not working, but if i drive for a while and turn the engine of and on again, it works the light goes out,, if i leave it of for a while then it stays on again untill i repeat,

also you definatly feel the brake pedal kind of click when it is working as the light goes out, its not the vacume, definatly something to do with the abs

cheers

nick

Good post, I have the same problem.

I have tested all sensors and the resistance is fine.

When I purchased the car the bloke I bought it from had the same problem. He took it to the stealers and all they did was change a fuse, this from the invoice:

ABS Light on

Carried out diagnostic test

N0713112 Fuse

Replaced blown no. 21 fuse - cleared faults

Parts 44p Labour £50!!!!!

Now I cant find no. 21 fuse. I have a factory manual but that is no help. Before I spend £50 to have a dealer change a fuse for me could someone tell me where I will find this fuse.

Thanks.