Sign in to follow this  
the delta force

Gearbox problems

Hello,

I'm a new member and have had my Corrado for three years. Due to financial reasons it has been off the road for a while but I am now ready to bring her back to life. However, before I took the car off the road I was having problems with my gearbox, 90% of the time could not select 2nd gear.

Any ideas before I take it in to the garage? Anyone know of a good Corrado mechanic in the West London area?

Would u recommend a new or recon box?

Thanks

Stefan

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

I had this problem on one of my G60's and it turned out to be a very easy fix :) A few people on here have had the same problem so there's a few threads on it - There is a small clip on the gear lever ( underneath the gear gator ) that brakes and falls off fairly easily. They're about 30p from VW and you will be able to check yourself if it's there, and if not , fit it yourself.

In this pic, the circlip isn't there, i've circled where it should be.

t_34_1661.jpg

Hopefully it will turn out to be this circlip, if not then maybe the gear linkage could need some adjusting?

If you use the search feature you'll find most problems have come up before :)

if it's not what Walesy says, it could be that the power steering hose in the engine bay has slipped slightly and is fouling on the gear shift weight when you go for second.... Had this in H-YYU and it was a nice easy fix which took all of 30seconds and cost nothing (just had to bend the clip slightly... )

Get someone to sit in the car and change through the gears (with the engine off!!!) while you look in the engine bay to see which bits move and if any of them catch on anything while they're going up and down through the gears....

i thought instead of starting a new thread i would add to this....does any one know a good place to have a gearbox recon for a VR6??? please answer as this is the family car, using the G60 with two babys is really pis***g off the wife :(