Sign in to follow this  
Wolfie VR6

Battery drain

OK the saga is as follows:

I had the radiator replaced (£280) and all seemed fine. I drove the car the next day with no problems. The following day (Saturday) I checked the coolant level and all seemed fine still. On the Sunday I went to check the coolant again and the fan was running, even though the car hadn't been driven for 2 days! Tried to start it but the battery was dead.

I charged the battery and when I connected it up again the fan came on. I tried unplugging the radiator fan thermoswitch, but got a nasty burning smell from the fan, so I just disconnected the battery and reconnected the thermoswitch. The garage said that the thermoswitch was the problem, so I reconnected the battery (fan started again) to take the car to the garage. I had to make a stop on the way and checked for the fan, which wasn't running. When I started the engine again it was misfiring horribly, but the garage wasn't far so I took it in. They replaced the thermoswitch for the fan problem, and checked the ecu and the compression for the misfiring (both fine), replaced the plugs, before tracing it to the coil pack, which they replaced. (£425 for the lot)

That was yesterday. All was fine on the way home and again this morning, but I got out of work to find a dead car. - Any suggestions? The car is back with the garage, which was recommended by a friend and seemed competent enough when they did some work for me before.....

turn everything off, interior lights clip the front of the stereo etc, then take the neg lead off the battery and use a multimeter between the lead & the battery to check the current draw, it should be very minimal. eg: clock, stereo memory alarm etc, should be milliamps not amps, the lower the figure the better, ask the garage to do this for you, make sure the fan won't come on!

Chris