Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Uneven Tyre On One Side

Got a wierd problem I thought I'd run by you lot!

My pass front tyre has just being replaced (both fronts) because they were due and a bit of un-even tyre wear.

What is confusing me is that (this is coming from the tyre fitters) the outside of just 1 tyre was worn, the drivers side was perfectly even.

If it was tracking/camber adjustment, I've being told it would be on both sides, not just one??

What could it be?

I'd check to see if the bottom ball joints ok or could be the track rod end - just a thought mate, let us know how you get on

If it was tracking/camber adjustment, I've being told it would be on both sides, not just one??

why should it be on both?

my left front was miles out when I had them alligned last week, but the front right was pretty straight.

I can't see a reason why they have to wear identically?

I'd have said get them alligned

My tracking was all over the place.. I had neg camber on one side, pos the other, with toe in and out on opposite sides too!!

No wonder I went through a set of front tyres in 3 months.

I'd have thought they would have checked the tracking at least if it was that bad...

Worth getting it 4 wheel'd before new tyres anyways - there is a really good tyre place in Skipton which sorted my Golf a few years back - can't remember what it was called but it was a chain - maybe national tyres? - very good service anyway!

TheIt's getting serviced on the 11th Aug at PSI. He does camber adjustment for £45. Get it done then methinks.

How do I check the ball joints?

Used to use a lever bar in the old days all your looking for is excess movment/play - It probably is camber/tracking though

hi

its probably worth checking your camber and tracking just to make sure but wear on the outside shoulder of the n/s/f tyre is fairly normal and due to speeding around islands (easy in a corrado) its exaggerated if the tyre is underinflated and has soft sidewalls ie cheaper softer riding(comfortable) tyres

its always the n/s/f tyre that wears quickest!!!

just a thought

andy

Let us know how the Camber & Toe was come the 11th Aug - Im sure its one of those too.

As for Aki comment, I'd disagree. Only if tyre pressures are wrong this will happen. If you're on a low profile tyre, ie on 17" wheels, then his suggestion would be massively wrong. However if you're on good old 15" like me, then it still shouldn't happen. Mine are wearing just great. As soon as I notice too much wear in the middle then I know they are over inflated; visa versa for both outer edges worn. Just for info, Im running about 33 rear and 36 front; it keeps the tyre wall stiffer - more like a 205/40-17 would be. Whereas 30/29 was great on the 17"'s I had.