Sign in to follow this  
tommy long

9a tuning

Right im looking into doing a conversion into my little polo 6n and am tryingn to decide what would be the best engine to go for.

Either the 2.0 16v abf or 2.0 16v 9a engine.

I like the sound of the 9a engine because it is a smaller engine than the abf and they seem to always be popping up on ebay.

What power figures would you get from a 9a engine standard and what figures could you see with a bit of subtle tweaking?. Also what are the engines like and also the gearboxes?, are they a strong drivtrain?.

It all depends on how you are planning on managing the 9A as they use KE-Motroinc injection, never used on a 6N. I am glad you don't want to use an ABF, I don't think you would be able to close the bonnet unless it was a 6N2. I would personally forget 16v and go 1.8T, easier and much more power.

See id plan on changing the wiring loom for the carrado loom when i change the ecu's. Tell me if this is a stupid idea but you couldnt change the injection setup from an abf motor onto a 9a motor?. I know it sounds stupid but could it possibly work?.

I have looked into 1.8t yet have found it's a long job to do. I plan on doing the conversion myself so am not worried about cost and also the 9a engines are cheaper to get hold of than a 1.8t and i'd also like to try something different.

No, the ABF Digifant system requires a crank speed sensor location in the block that a 9A doesn’t have. The 9A block can be drilled and machined for the sensor but it means stripping down the engine and changing the crank for one with a speed reference disc fitting. I doubt you could make KE-Motroinc fit under a Polo bonnet and it’s not a brilliant system anyway. Fitting a 1.8T is far less work than the above ideas. If you want to do something different, how about a 9A with throttle bodies as that would keep the overall engine height down. You will still have to work out a transmission either based on the early SDI 085 system or the later TDI 02A or develop your own idea based on an 020 but they are quite long and are a squeeze.

Thanks alot for your reply's mate this is really useful.

I know your going to need to have custom engine mounts made up for the conversion so surely if you get them so they dont sit that high you may have a bit better clearence in the engine bay.

URL=http://imageshack.us]2016vmn8.jpg[/url]

The conversion has been done with an abf lump as this chap from germany has dont it.