Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Drive shaft seal??? Gearbox oil leak, where from???

Looked under my car the other day as ive been getting a patch on the floor of gearbox oil, its clear oil.

Ive been told it could be drive shaft seal, can someone explain to me how this works and if i can fix it myself?

Thank,

Neil

It'll either be the main flange seal or the small inner seal inside the flange itself.

If you look from above at your diff casing, you'll see the two CV flanges that attach to either side of it, you want to be checking there for leaks mate.

I´m on my second G60 and the gearbox leaks just like the first one.

It´s the same problem.

Take a look under the gearbox and you´ll see a cover with the VW logo attached with two bolts.

I stopped the leak with gasket paper.

They are running fine up to date! :)

I´m on my second G60 and the gearbox leaks just like the first one.

It´s the same problem.

Take a look under the gearbox and you´ll see a cover with the VW logo attached with two bolts.

I stopped the leak with gasket paper.

They are running fine up to date! :)

Is this a common problem? if i remove this cover will all the oil fall out?

I have this stuff called 'instant gasket' will that work?

Well i don´t really know if this is a common problem...

I used some gasket paper, i had to cut it with the same correct dimensions as the cover.

The gearbox oil will come out, maybe you can take advantage by replacing the oil with some good stuff like Redline MT90!

Keep posting! :)

If I haven't misunderstood anything here, kongo127 is referring to the cover located at the right hand end of the gearbox (facing in driving direction of car), which sits on the side of the gearbox, whereas Neil's leak seems to stem from the driveshaft flanges.

Whereas the former is easy to repair (just a bit difficult to get to, as space is a bit tight to the inner wing), the latter (i.e. driveshaft flange seals) is a bit more involving (need to do this on my Mk1 Rocco shortly):

Take off drive shaft at gearbox end (undo 6 Torx bolts), and hang out of the way (to not damage the joint). Use a puller to take off flange from differential shaft. Prise out seal and replace (grease up new one a little bit). Installation is reversal of removal. This version is heavily abbreviated but in essence has all the necessary points.

Tempest

is removal of the passenger side wheel/hub/suspension needed or can all this be left intact?

Neil. Did you get this sorted? I have developed the same leak. Was it DIY able or did you use a garage, if so how much work was it?

Cheers,

Dan

I have seen the same problem on my G60 and I have been told that it could be the crankshaft oil seals, being that my gearbox has a lot of play in it and the 1st and 2nd gears are difficult, the gear linkage also feels slack so I am now looking at what I can do, whether to try getting a Mk3 Golf GTI 2.0 16v box, does anyone know if this will be a good mod?