Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Split Rim refurb guide??

Does anyone know of a decent online bbs rs split rim refurb guide??

I feel i may have need for one very soon.... 8)

I am thinking about doing the centres in a similar colour to my D90s (anthracite) at the moment as i think the colour is awesome, although i may lighten the colour up a little... anyway not sure yet, just need to get to grips with the basics as i am a split rim refurb virgin.... :oops:

i am sure it fairly simply is there anything i should should out for etc...

tbh its pretty simple you take the tyres off undo and remove all nuts and bolts, tap the wheel apart with a rubber mallet. when you get them painted dont get the mating surfaces painted. run a bead of silicon sealant (stuff from diy stores is perfect) around the mating surfaces put the wheel back together using new bolts and tighten them to 28 ft lbs wipe off all excess sealant any you miss can be removed with brake cleaner later. get tyres fitted then look at all your mates faces as they say wow your car is almost as nice as bills now :lol: hope that helps mike.

There used to be an excellent one here but link no longer works...

http://www.gtiworld.fsnet.co.uk/BBS.htm

damn!! cant be that hard tho hey...

I am thinking about doing the centres in an anthracite type of colour , maybe slightly lighter, similar colour to the ones furks had up for sale...

i think i may see if i can get the outer rims diamond cut / machined, so i can laquer them maybe...?

Anyway its all in my think tank at the moment..

Thanks for the pointers guys, cheers :thumb right:

95_3.jpg

excellent cheers!

does anyone know if the bolts that hold the rims together "HAVE" to be replaced with new ones??

Apparently they are supposed to be, but they are not stretch bolts so can't see why they have to be renewed when rims rebult. I have rebuilt 2 sets of split rims using the original (albeit chemically stripped and ball-burnished) bolts with no probs at all.

Cheers

we can also get a chrome powder coat done now which give some great low maintenance results

we can also get a chrome powder coat done now which give some great low maintenance results

got any pics darren...

I was thinking of maybe getting the centres done in an anthracite colour... :) and then either polish the rims or get them powder coated in a nice shiny finish... i just havent seen an examples of this chrome effect powder coating yet...