Sign in to follow this  
gsbellew

Bypassing the powersteering pump 1.8 16v

Is there anyway to bypass the powersteering pump if the car is leaking pas fluid? its a 1.8 16v with a leaky pas setup, I have little or no choice but to drive it, so can I bypass it in a similar vein to bypassing a blown charger or am I stuck to topping up the fluid?

That brings another question, how much PAS fluid does a 16v Corrado hold?

Try steering without the engine running - thats what it would be like!

It holds about 1 ltr of fluid, good news is VW have just replaced G002 with G004 which is about half the price - about £4 a ltr

Yeah, I drove one of my g60's around with no PAS for a few weeks, it's not easy but when you're on the move it's not too bad.

Cool, so the PAS has its own belt? its not running the water pump or alternator?

I'll try topping the fluid up first but if it comes straight out it'll have to be off with the belt for the trip home. I'm used to cars without PAS so I should be grand :lol:

But it's not\like driving a car without PAS as you are having to manualy move the cold fluid around - I wouldn't recomend driving it anywhere but to a garage...