Sign in to follow this  
N_TaG

Whining noise and vibration through floor

ok, it started off as a slight whine noise at very, very low speed....tapping the brake pedal would ease it. Sounded like it was coming from the rear offside brake.

Thinking it could be the wheel bearings i replaced the rears, and at the same time replaced the front disks and pads.

Well now the noise is much louder and continues throughout driving at any speed, albeit the noise isnt the same at all speeds......also at very low speeds i can feel a vibration through the floor and appears now to be coming from the front too.

Is this a caliper seizing or all of them? Or is it the front wheel bearings now?

Any help much appreciated :-)

is there any movement in the front wheels if you put your hand on the top of the tyre and rock it in/out of the arch? (while parked up, obviously!)

dont know, i'll try that this evening. That would be bearings right? I've heard the front ones are a bitch to replace....:-(

yeah I think so, I've seen people test for CV joints/bearings that way before.

not sure if they're that much of a pain to change, never having done it myself.

You replaced the rear bearing but the front discs?

I'd give all 4 wheels a wiggle up on a jack/stand. Thus bearings. (assuming all wheels on nice and tight).

Then take wheels off and check that all brake calipers are bolted on properly.

I wouldnt expect vibration in the floor if it was the rear giving problems; but if the discs are majorly warped, maybe, just maybe. More likely those front bearings. Go easy on those new brakes too.

dont know, i'll try that this evening. That would be bearings right? I've heard the front ones are a bitch to replace....:-(

If a valver is the same as the VR then yes the fronts are a bitch to replace!!

I would advise taking it to a garage to be done properly. We did it ourselves and got a friend of a friend to press the bearings in and now we have a strange noise that we can't get rid off and every day I'm more and more convinced that the bearings weren't pressed in properly or the hub was bent.

see my post http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43042

With the caliper seizing you'd get alot of drag.....

Also it would bind very badly....

I still think bearings.. has all the symptoms!!!