Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

what oil filter?

morning what oil filter do i need to get for the 2ltr 16v k reg c?

i remember hearing something about a valve on it?

can i just go to halfords lol thanks .

Yeah - VW don't generally charge the earth for their oil filters and besides - if you go pick up enough Synta Silver oil to do an oil change from VAG, they might chuck a filter in with it for you!

I wasn't that lucky Jim, but I bought an Oil Filter off VAG for under £10.

minstrall - dont forget to ask for a sump-plug washer too; thats probably free.

NB: using a VAG filter is a good thing. When buying a car, I get suspicious if non genuine parts are used; even though those parts maybe good, there is a degree of certainty with VAG.

im using mann and hummel with GTX mag oil no probs so far and it cost me 0.45p

VAG use mann oil filters. :)

Easy enough. You might need a strap wrench to get the old filter off. Lightly grease the rubber seal of the new filter, do it up hand tight, not with the strap wrench. And be careful with the sump plug as the hexagon head is made out of quite soft metal. 17mm socket if I remember correctly.

Do it all with the engine warm enough to thin the oil but not hot enough to scald you.

Safety/environment moment; don't get under a car supported just on a jack; use axle stands NOT bricks, under hard suspension mounting points. Do the job on level, hard ground. Dispose of the old oil and filter at your local municipal collection point.

Well, you did ask.......

Best wishes

RB

Yeah - 19mm six sided for the sump plug and make sure you use a new crush washer...

Use an old alternator belt to get the fiilter off if you've not got a strap wrench - stick a screwdriver thru it as a last resort but be careful not to brake the dipstick guide or go thru any water pipes - lol