Sign in to follow this  
Paulr1980

Oil leak.. argh!!!

Oil leak.. oil leak oil leak.. leaking oil, not good!

Ok, It wasn't leaking 2 weeks ago when I got it and the chap that I bought it from did say it hadn't been driven much so I expected a few niggles.

I've driven it steadily and have waited for it to warm up to 95 deg and then on occaision fairly hard. Highest rpm has been about 6800 though so not to the limiter.

Come out this morning and I've noticed a few fairly large oil deposits on the ground..

Had a look under the car and the sump is soaked.

Under the bonnet it seems to be mostly at the front of the block. I don't know what it is but there is a cylindrical shaped metal object bolted to the front and the oil seems to be there in fairly large quantities...

What is this? (Its opposite the centre of the fan if that helps)

I'm going to wait for it to cool down (I've just been out in it) and get the brake cleaner on it the sump and that thing..

Drive it again and see if I can pin point the leak..

Has anyone had this before? Is it common? what is the fix?

Thanks in anticipation

paul

Ok, Brake cleanered it off now.

It seemed to be around a metal part that had a feed pipe to the airbox and then and also the same pipe offshoots to the intake manifold.

Directly beneath is the oil filter connecting block.

Ran it up and left it for 10 mins idling and nothing.. I'm going to do a bit of normal driving and check again... then some hard driving and check again.

Either way though it needs to be cured.

Can you guess I hate oil leaks!! I'm scared of them :)

The part you described sounds like the idle stabilisation valve which shouldn't be the source of an oil leak. The only source above that would be the cam cover gasket. You would need to take off the inlet manifold to sort that out.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah it was the breather pipe, feels all soft and squashy and still seeps oil out...

am getting a new one to fix (hopefully). I'm still surprised its leaking so much though.