Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

URGENT: Problems fitting Goodrich hoses

Right, since I failed the MOT with my C on a corroded ferrule on one of the short rear brake hoses, and a brake line front right, I decided to bite the bullet and due to time constraints (need the C for the big trip to the Nürburgring and Karmann next Wednesday, and stuck at work until then, no spare time available) let my garage do all the repairs (ouch!!!!!!):

New brake lines all round, new hoses bar the 2 rear ones going to the claipers, as they're already braided when I fitted the Mk4 calipers last year.

My garage phoned me on my mobile whilst at a customer in Canterbury :roll: saying they can't fit the front hoses, they won't fit.

I ordered Goodrich SVW0605-6P, which is deffo the right kit for a G60 (confirmed by both GSF, where I got the kit from, and Goodrich themselves, where my colleague has already chased them up, whilst I was stuck dealing with customers all day today).

Expert answers please: Could this be something to do with the fact that mine is LHD, has ABS or what could be the reason (as I need to yet see why the hoses won't fit)?

Also: Set-up front:

Caliper - brake line - hose - brake line. Is this normal, or does the hose normally attach directly to the caliper (couldn't find any info in either Bentley or Etka), as on my Sciroccos the hose goes straight to the caliper. Front calipers have been changed by previous owner (Scotland) but can't see from invoice whether they're different to what they should be. They look normal to me, when I changed disks and pads last year.

As said, need this info urgently, ideally by tomorrow morning, when I go and visit my garage and kick them.

Tempest

Surely the flexible hose connects directly to the caliper at one end and to the rigid metal brake line at the other end at a fixed support, to give the necessary, errr, flexibility when steering . I can't imagine that there is a rigid line downstream of that. If there were it would be constantly experiencing all sorts of bending stresses unless it was fixed at both ends.

Unless your front caliper is of the twin-pot variety (non-standard so far as I know) with a steel pipe running between the two sides. Nonetheless, the flexible would still connect to the caliper, with a separate tapping for the transfer from one side to the other.

Best wishes

RB

I did the brakes on my 16V last weekend and the flexy hose goes from the caliper to the rigid mounting point in the arch... it also has ABS if that helps...

yup, just found the same with H-YYU in that she's got a metal pipe attached to the caliper itself which then attaches to the flexy... it's an age thing I think as H-YYU was like that where J-DUB wasn't...

It should fit with no problems though... my Brembos went straight on, so the connectors are all the same... :|

Well, I have been at the garage this morning and as soon as I saw the Goodrich hoses in question (as I had never seen them before, my colleague collected them yesterday and dropped everything plus C off at the garage, as I was out of the office in Kent all day), I immediately aksed them whether they had tried fitting the male end of the longest 2 hoses into the front caliper.

They hadn't ! Muppets :lol: Told them that I had upgraded my Mk2 Storm some time ago, and the front Goodrich hoses went straight into the calipers.

If I only had had more time before the Karmann trip I would have done all this myself (still wouldn't have flaring and bending tools for the brake lines which I wanted all to be replaced - never been done before on my C in the last 16 years).

Hope they get it sorted now. By the time I explained to them how to do it, I could have done it myself. Unfortunately my C was off the bridge again :-(

I'll hate to see the final bill for something I could have done myself, if I had had the time. Nearly took time-off from work, but my colleague wasn't too keen, as we've got shedloads of work to do.

it's an age thing I think as H-YYU was like that where J-DUB wasn't...

Strange that, as the Etka doesn't have any detail on this at all, neither does the Bentley :shock:

Tempest

GSF got you the wrong kit (altho it may be goodridge's fault) - there are 2 kits for the G60, one with shorter front hoses to go onto the early style calipers... I didn't realise you could get rid of the metal pipes on the caliper tho so this is probably a better way of doing it if your replacing everything...

It's on etka - look for the chassis breaks on the calipers and hoses (M chassis)

I had trouble having them fitted to VR6.

There are about 3 different types (end fittings) for that one.

One of the helpful agents in England amused me by saying one of his contacts has been known to use the phrase

"not another f###ing Corrado!"

GSF got you the wrong kit (altho it may be goodridge's fault) - there are 2 kits for the G60,

Are there 2 different part numbers then? I've been given SVW0605-6P which is for the VW Corrado G60 (A) according to the sticker, all of which I have been able to decipher using their code lists. Neither their website nor any of their agents's websites distinguish between the 2 kits for the G60.

It's on etka - look for the chassis breaks on the calipers and hoses (M chassis)

What page? I've only found page 91-6-11 illustration 110-00, item number 11, but that picture doen't confirm the existence of 2 types of claipers, i.e. with and without extra brake lines. Illustration 116-50 does show a better picture of how the brake lines and hoses go from the ABS pump to the front calipers, and there you can see the hoses going straight into the calipers. No reference to chassis number on that page. See, why I got confused, unless I got it completely wrong., but I couldn't find a clear piccie of the apparently 2 types of front calipers. The Bentley doesn't mention anything at all.

not another f###ing Corrado

Can begin to see that agent's comments. Take the Rocco, for example: None of that sh*te there. Just get a Goodrich kit, and fit, guess what: It works straight away :-) OK, you do need to drop the rear axle (unlike with the C), but hey, perfect excuse to change the metal, usually rusty tank (all of which I did in one go nearly 3 years ago) :-). Plus that rear axle keeps the dirt and muck away from those pesky highly sensitive union nuts and hose-line connections, as the junction sits on top of the rear axle, well away from road grime :-)

Oh well, my C still isn't finished :roll:

if your replacing everything

Yes, I just want my C to finally be trouble-free for a change ;-) I keep on throwing enough money at it. The bill for this repair has yet to come :shock:

Tempest

I didn't realise you could get rid of the metal pipes on the caliper

You can indeed as my garage finally managed to get the front hoses in.

However, when I had payed for the bill where it stated "replaced both front brake lines, and fitted supplied braided hoses all round", and when i jacked up the C to start plastering everything in Hammerite followed by underseal layers, I was in vain looking for the second new front brake line. Found the one I failed the MOT on (and had to reinsert grommets, the ABS sensor cabling into its holders, as everything had been done in a rather hurried manner, it seems), but the other side still sported the original line, that I will no doubt fail on next year, apart from the fact that I have payed for its replacement!

Well, I'll be back on the phone tomorrow. Just hope they can get that line in there by Tuesday at the latest, as I'll no doubt will have to tidy up things again, and actually wanted to wash the outside and clean the inside, all before the Karmann trip :shock: Garages *gggrrr*. If iI won a million in the lottery, I'd give up my dayjob, so I can finally work on my cars when I need to, and do everything myself on time and to my standards :roll:

Tempest