Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

VR6 misfiring, Clues needed.

Im having a nightmere with the car at the moment, firstly ive sprung a difficult to find coolant leak and this morning i took the car out and it felt terrible.

It feels like a misfire and when i lifted the bonnet i can hear a clicking sound. I thought that the car must be cold and a bit damp after 24 hrs of rain but this has continued once its warmed up.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Hoping its gonna be a leads and plugs job.

I could also do with a recommendation of a garage to sort my leak, am in Durham but spend most of my time down south so dont really know any garages in the North East.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Ended up being the coilpack on mine, no obvious cracking. Had a mate with a VR6 Golf and swapped it to double check before buying a replacement from GSF. This was after changing leads, lambda and plugs with no effect.

depends.

misfiring with a coolant leak could be the head gasket (worst case).

could be the coilpack, HT leads, MAF, lambda, etc etc.

best bet is to find someone local and try switching things

peeps used to test the coilpack with a water atomiser in the dark.

Check the ECU relay fuse. Could have a dry joint or not be plugged in properly. Not sure where it is on the VR but on the G60 it's the top row, third from the left.

Thanks for the pointers fellas.

Started the car again later today and it ran fine however the clicking/cracking is still hapenning.

Checked the history file for the car and the leads are ancient so think im gonna bin them as a matter of course and see how i get on from there.

Ill check out the other suggestions, get the leak fixed and fingers crossed for happy motoring agin.

Thanks again.

Something thats says MAF cleaner and make sure what ever you get it says sensor safe on the back, idk about in the UK but here in the US i used CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner, pull out the MAF and spray it on the inside on the sensors, let it dry for about 10 min, the spray dries pretty fast but to be on the safe side let it sit, while you have that out might aswell get intake cleaner and clean ur intake. Put it back together, and hopfully ur problem is solved

GL