Sign in to follow this  
PhillT

Forged Pistons

:? as subject really... got some forged pistons with the car, now they sit perfectly level with the top of the block when at TDC (and I mean spot on level, had to get the top machined for the reason below)

but I was told yesterday that they may expand when they get hot which will cause them to hit the head if this is the case

can someone "in the know" confirm if this will be the case please? I would phone the manufancturer but considering they machined them 0.63mm too high in the first place I don't think they would really know!

any help would be great

Thanks

Phill

They do expand, but by how much where the crown is concerned is anyone's guess. Obviously the skirts expand a fair amount.

I would have thought the head gasket might allow for a small amount of expansion? Where the pistons not made speficially for your engine then?

Hi Kev,

yeah the pistons were done using an original G60 piston as the guide, oversized to 81.5mm but the half-moon raised section of the crown was 0.63mm higher than the original causing it to raise higher than the block face

which hasn't inspired me with confidence one bit

think I might give him a call

once I've figured out what to do with the CAT B worthless peice of *blank* shell I've been probably wasting my time on :mad2: