Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I've not taken it off yet, will probably do that tonight. might sell on a few bits that i don't really need.

Clutch looked ok, a bit worn but still useable, will be using mine though.

Painted it black

20130508_202212.jpg

20130508_202159.jpg

Sump isn't staying on, so not bothered cleaning that

Thats look 100% better!

Was it easy enough getting the fly wheel off?

you going to do the chains while itson the stand

Had to get Big Jim round to undo the flywheel bolts :lol: he is my impact driver... i was lifting myself off the ground trying to undo them..

Will be having a look at the chains over the weekend etc, wanted it all clean before i open anything up.

The chains and tensioners on my engine were fitted about 6000miles ago so will pinch bits from that if needed.

Had to get Big Jim round to undo the flywheel bolts :lol: he is my impact driver... i was lifting myself off the ground trying to undo them..

Will be having a look at the chains over the weekend etc, wanted it all clean before i open anything up.

The chains and tensioners on my engine were fitted about 6000miles ago so will pinch bits from that if needed.

Lol Jim does make light work of bolts lol

I will have to send some pics of the astra, getting the clutch done in a couple of weeks

there is defo a wheel bearing gone on it! the nois inside is terrible :lol:

I saw your thread on astra owners, looks loads better already, roof lining came out well.

I would remove some trim to get rid of the smell, i bet behind steering column trim and around the gearstick will be a bit ashy. My bro did tell me he is sure its the tyres. Might be worth swapping rears wheels for the fronts to see if it makes any difference to the noise.

I saw your thread on astra owners, looks loads better already, roof lining came out well.

I would remove some trim to get rid of the smell, i bet behind steering column trim and around the gearstick will be a bit ashy. My bro did tell me he is sure its the tyres. Might be worth swapping rears wheels for the fronts to see if it makes any difference to the noise.

You on the astra owners network? i been a member since 2009 well had a banned period of 2 years :lol: the smell is preatty much gone! the roof lining could probably do with being changed out

Looking at poly bushes at the mo for it, think they need changing out

You on the astra owners network?

nah i was stalking you :lol:

Its definitely a totally different car to drive than a vr6 golf/corrado, i always remember when i had my corsa and nova you really had to stay high up the revs to get anywhere, which is partly the reason i wanted a large NA engine with some nice torque. I was also banned from the corsa club i used, i think vauxhall owners don't like the truth :D

nah i was stalking you :lol:

Its definitely a totally different car to drive than a vr6 golf/corrado, i always remember when i had my corsa and nova you really had to stay high up the revs to get anywhere, which is partly the reason i wanted a large NA engine with some nice torque. I was also banned from the corsa club i used, i think vauxhall owners don't like the truth :D

There is few things that bug me about the astra that i only notice now going back to one :lol:

The room above the pedals is terrible! my trainers hit the trim under the dash!

The gear stick is a strange position unlike the rado.

I do like the build quality on the astra though! and thing has no rush on it! bloody 1.8 is slow than i remember :lol:

Stripped mine down. About to take engine out. I bought another stand and an impact wrench battery job. Will update later on.

Stripped mine down. About to take engine out. I bought another stand and an impact wrench battery job. Will update later on.

You been busy then :)

Have nearly finished building the engine up now. I managed to ruin an exhaust stud hole so that's held me up a bit, hoping to get that fixed tomorrow and then i'm ready to put engine in the car.

Put the mk4 tensioner and a new upper guide in the engine, swapped most ancillaries over, stuck my reinforced sump on, done the starter motor bush in the gearbox which i'm chuffed about, only had to buy simple bits like gaskets and o-rings. Spent most of my money on tools this time around :lol:

Thanks, didn't think i'd ever be swapping the engine myself, i used to be scared to do anything other than change a wheel :lol:

20130526_201116.jpg

Dads double garage is making a good workshop

Finished it now.

Got engine all ready to drop in

20130530_191905.jpg

Dropped it in saturday morning

20130601_183039.jpg

By end of saturday i had got this far

20130601_213625.jpg

Then finished it on sunday

20130603_193450.jpg

20130603_193543.jpg

Started 1st time and i drove out the garage, didn't have any issues to sort out/adjust. The only problem i had was reversed up the drive, put it in 1st and it stalled and wouldn't start again. Pushed it back down drive and all it was just a battery terminal now done up tight (must of been excited as thats the last thing to do up)

Drives well, feels more responsive with the 263 cams, but i have a bit of a tappet/lifter noise from about 1800rpm to 2500rpm while on the move. Might try and engine flush.

good work and looking good too! Must be very satisfying finishing such a big task, especially with it starting first time! Can't wait to get my 263s fitted, although I'll be paying someone else to fit them...

Thanks, its a revelation being able to do the work myself. When i went to a local place about it they kind of put me off having the work done, saying it would be very expensive and lots of work, almost sounding as if its not worth doing it.

I found it all very easy really, is no special skills or knowledge required imo, just undo everything, and do it all up in the same way, i take photos of everything on my phone so refer back to them when i get confused/lost.

I suppose being a professional mechanic is the same but with the added pressure of time limits and still earning money from it.

Good work Jim! I did the exact same thing on my old Golf3 when the oil cooler failed. Never had any experience of doing anything like it on a car before either, and like you I just took loads of pics, and it was a doddle! I painted it up, changed the cambelt, clutch, lightened flywheel, etc etc and it went in and ran like a dream straight away!

Its a very satisfying feeling knowing you've done it all yourself isn't it! :smug:

It great, means i can spend more money on part :lol:

Took a few up to date pics of it today (most recent ones have been of my car in bits), not washed it but its quite clean anyway

20130606_115950.jpg

20130606_115959.jpg

20130606_123039.jpg

20130606_123048.jpg

There is some difference, its not a massive change though. I think if i'd bought the cams myself i'd feel disappointed.

Got a loud tappet sort of noise though, which is bugging me, Have bought some engine flush and might try a different oil. Fuel consumption seems the same, but i've only done about 300miles so far. Just keeping an eye on oil and water. Which seem good so far.