Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

BMC cold air feed

Right, my cold air feed fell off not too long after I fitted it, I kind of assumed I hadnt tightened it properly and proceeded to fit it again and this time made sure everything was as tight as could be.

It fell of again and I have figured out why. The cold air feed seems to be catching (you can actually hear it on hard cornering - circled in blue). I tried to push the BMC further back so it wouldnt catch as much and then tighten it properly (circled in red) but it still moved within the bracket, it wont grip enough (not matter how tight it is) and it still slides.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I really do want (need) this cold air feed as I can tell the difference without it.

Please help... :(

Dr, I ended up bending the cold air feed straight and then bending it into a shape that suits the space to install it.

Only other difference from the way I fitted mine, to yours, is I used the full length of (not very technical description) that piece of mecano, and bolted it onto the top of the suspension turret, there is already a bolt in there. Ran it under the connector cable for the MAF and then to the BMC with the clamp higher up the body of the canister, this has resulted in the mount being bent into tension a little, which seems to give almost no movement.

Hope this helps.

BTW excellent group buy, well worth the money in my opinion.

Hhhmmm, unfortunately I cant use that method anymore since I have already shorten my piece of "mecano", lol, but thanks for that advice.

Anything else I can try?

And yeh, I love the BMC too, very happy with it

Just screw through the end of the ducting into the BMC. And my meccano went down into a hole where the the CC holder was attached.

Can imagine the engine vibrations would shake anything loose!

RADO.001: The bracket or the cold air feed mate?

xbones: Thats fine about screwing through the BMC for the ducting, but it still catches and you can hear it, I'd rather it didnt catch either, which brings me back to my point of how do i get the BMC to sit a little further back and stay there now? Any idea if I can get a hold of a "standard sized" mecano piece? Will try fixing it to the turret instead.

Something similar must be available from hardware shops.

You've removed the CC holder... just fix it there.

Right, Halfords had some crappy flimsy bracket thingy and B&Q have a bracket which wont even bend slightly, so thats those ones exhausted.

Shall try Homebase but I doubt they'll be any better.

Hehehehe, sounds like that might be ideal. Shall give Vince a ring and see if he can help me out or recommend something, cos truthfully that piece supplied is perfect, I shouldnt have butchered it, idiot that I am. Oh well, live and learn eh, lol.

Just put my cold air feed on Sunday, I ended up taking the hole intake pipe off up to the throtle body and puting the cold air feed on and shaping it as I was securing the pipe back on to the TB

Lost that induction roar now but can tell the performance increases, more so on the motorway but what a great piece of kit.

Well I noticed a clear difference between have the cold air feed on and off. Its definitely quieter (which I dont like as much as without it) but definitely more responsive.

I reckon you give it a go and see what you think yourself mate.

well ive been thinking bout putting in a directional cold air feed, rather than conecting it onto the BMC it will just provide a stream of cold air across the area around the BMC intake.

if that makes any sences!?

But you won't get a stream at low speed, when you need it. When you're going fast, there's quite a lot of cold air churning about anyway.

well ive been thinking bout putting in a directional cold air feed, rather than conecting it onto the BMC it will just provide a stream of cold air across the area around the BMC intake.

if that makes any sences!?

I see what you mean, but why do that anyway? Why not just connect it up? There's no extra benefit of not connecting it up. Or is there?

well im hoping to keep the noise that my C makes without conecting directly to the BMC but still feed it as much cool air as i can.

I've just used a short piece of the ducting and slotted it behind the headlight where the OEM filter gets its air from... Seems to work really well and saves messing about with the CC. Still makes a good amount of induction noise too!

well im hoping to keep the noise that my C makes without conecting directly to the BMC but still feed it as much cool air as i can.

See your point, well give both a go and see what fits you best?