Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Security (Clifford) what to get?

Before I start spending money on the car, I want to protect it..

I plan on going for a Clifford as I've had em on most of my cars, however I'm not sure wether to go CAT1, or say Concept 100, and a CAT2 immobliser :? I have a fitter I've used in the past whos very good.. just unsure as to what to go for?

I found my last CAT1 abit of a pain to use, the proximity sensor was to sensitive, had to use valet mode etc, I just want somthing with R/C/L (which they do anyway) and protect the doors, glass etc, and say an immobilser to try and prevent theft!

I'm stuck, what would you guys recomend?

AFAIK, Cat 1 doesn't have to have proximity sensors to qualify for the rating.

My advice would be to go for decent Cat 1, preferably without all the fancy bell & whistles that invariably end up waking you in the middle of the night for no reason! :lol:

Paranoid car alarms have all the usefulness of chocolate fire guards... people tend to ignore them these days anyway.

I'd also reccomend a stoplock or something similar for the added visual deterrent if you're feeling a bit unsure when you park it somewhere you're not familiar with.

(...in light of GringoG60's post, I'll just add that I have a Cobra Cat1 on my C, and have been perfectly happy with it for the 2yrs I've owned it)

DtM.

Hi,

I wouldnt buy a clifford again if my life depended on it- ive had three of them on two cars- 2 faulty ones that had to be replaced- had so many problems with them you would not beleive some times leaving me completely stranded. They are absoloutley useless-A freind of mine also has a Japanese importing car business

and his cars before they went out had them fitted and there were many complaints that came back from his customers. He now fits Cobra alarms as standard which he never has a problem with- Cliffords are sophisticated i know, but they are very unreliable You are just paying for a name - dont bother( im not bitter honest!). A mechanic freind of mine also agrees they are useless to!

Dont bother again mate youve been lucky in the past- go for a cobra or toad or something that wont lock you out of your car all the time and refuse to let the car start! :(

Cheers for the replies so far.. hmmm I've seen a local place selling a cobra CAT1 fitted for £275, may have a look at others, Toad are built from Clifford bits from what I've heard... :?

i've just fitted the clifford proximaty sensor 4 to my C, it takes a bit of setting up, but once done correctly you cant set it off by just walking past it. you need to get close to the glass or lean into the car when the windows are open to set it off,

intellivoice Rocks!!

GRINGOG60, Cliffords alarms never seem to get instailed by decent caring installers from what i've read. I think other alarm companies insist on higher standards of install.

i had no problems with my clifford

had problems with the cobra before, kept getting spiked and becoming faulty

Cheers for the replies, I've been told not to go for clifford cat2 as its no longer begin made... :(

What to do?

GRINGOG60, Cliffords alarms never seem to get instailed by decent caring installers from what i've read. I think other alarm companies insist on higher standards of install. :shock:

wouldnt agrree with that

i hold certifacates to fit clifford, gt alarms, scorpian, toad and cobra.

a clifford fitted properly is a good reliable alarm with one of the best back ups out there, and there warrenty is any dealer if in trouble, not just the one that fitted it.

out of 300 cliffords i have fitted only 2 have gone wrong and none have failed totally. usual probs are owners not the alarm. i have clifford on all my vehicles and i can get other makes cheaper but always would fit clifford.

my 2 pence and what a 2 pence worth :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the replies, I've been told not to go for clifford cat2 as its no longer begin made...

What to do?

yep they have stopped the virtual key as the market place for immobilisers is dyeing out as most cars have factory ones.

exturbo2003, I have an old clifford matrix in mine, but only have one keyfob which worries me slightly (also having passat handles)

Is it posible to get a new fob made / copied so I have a spare??

Or maybe just fit the one I have into a newer case as mine has a crack in it??

i too had trouble with my clifford concept 300 but when i took it back fixed no probs and was assured its only ever remotes or aerials that go,

never let me down since

funky

I'd be looking to get a concept clifford fitted next, to go with the CAT2, see what xmas brings me :D

Well what a moody bunch the fitter were who fitted the CAT2 :(

atleast thats one thing out of the way! :D