Sign in to follow this  
reaper1_3

swopping brakes

just after some advice i am a complete novice to brakes and i am about to attempt swopping my 16v 250 brakes to a g60 280 setup..... i have all the relevant setup calipers and carriers discs and goodridge hoses etc..... and lots of enthusiasm....! but i could do with some simple step by step advice.... :oops:

will i need to drain the system? before starting? dont want brake fluid everywhere!

after fitting will i need to bleed the master brake cylinder? if so where is it located!! :oops:

oh the car is a 93K 16V

cheers in advance....

i did do a brake pad change in wiki then after this all that would need to be done is to get the carrier calipers off and change your hoses then bleed the brakes and refill and you'll be done i think its the caliper carriers you'll have trouble with thou! as all the other bits fit together nicely and come apart with not over the top effort but the bolt on the caliper carriers is an absolute biatch! good luck matey!might be worth getting a few extra of those boltas from vag just incase you shear them off!"

Check out the 312 wiki as this provides a good step by step. Normally the biggest problem is cracking the flexi pipes off the hard ones, use a bit of heat (gentle though) and good fitting spanners. Make sure you can do this on both sides before progressing, if you can't do it then you have the option to take it to a garage.

Once you have done this, bolt the new calipers in position with the old ones tied out the way on the springs, this is so when you actually undo the flexi pipe you can instantly connect the new one and pump the brake peddle (with nipple open of course) to expel the air. This avoids having fluid all over the garage floor and air in your ABS system, which is a nightmare!

Good luck