Sign in to follow this  
big_mac

Where do i start????

hi guys and gals im after some advice about my G60 corrado, i bought it about 2 months ago and having cleared some debts i can now afford to spend a bit of cash on her.

she is totally standard apart from a full downpipe back stainless steel exhaust.

so where do i start, ive been told not to fit an induction kit by some but have heard the opposite off others etc please help.

cheers

Andy.

you got the exhaust so no need for that. the std pipe is heavy but in all honesty its quite good power wise n the SS dont make too much difference.

I d start by trying to get it running properly.

Fit a AF gauge. this will give you good ideas on the following

o2 probe/system operation

WOT/idle switch operation.

Blue temp sensor operation

rough idea of fueling state at WOT

Boost gauge will give you a good idea of the chargers state of condition. a good charger will give more boost that a poor or deteriorating charger. expect 9-11psi from a good one. maybe point out a boost leak too. check intercooler for holes and boost tubes and hoses esp around battery. still if the charger hasn't been rebuilt recently then get it checked over at least.

Front engine mount-start car put in gear n lift clutch with hand brake on. get a mate to watch the engine for lots of movement. if theres more than you would expect then replace the mount. get a uprated one so that it lasts longer than 12 months. vibratecnics and volkspeed(maybe still) do good ones over here.

usuals-plugs(proper bosch W6dpo), leads,dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil, filter(VW only)

what i found is that when you make upgrade changes the issues that are underlying are magnified greatly so some things that you dismissed before may reer their ugly heads.

for upgrades the most easy route is a chip and pulley. this makes the charger spin faster producing more airflow meaning more boost. the chip makes the ECU able to run under these more extreme conditions.

problem is the std intercooler is a tad pants. its in the wing under the battery and v small. fitting a front mount aint easy but well worth it.

i went for bigger injectors too as im on a smaller pulley at 65mm so it produces boost that can outgun the std injectors but im told in most cases(and probly mine still really) the std ones are up to it.

the air filter one is quite a big debate. i think it is now taken that the best way is to put a large filter in the inner wing where the carbon can used to be, or still will be in your case. this aint the easiest way though. induction vs air box and panel id expect that the airbox is better for power. id disagree but i run a v larger shield round mine thats up to the bonnet and straight across the air box area so not much heat gets there. the induction kit is a mare in summer as it gets heatsoaked v quick and power is gone. induction kit sound is 100000000000000000 times better than a box though.

probly gone on with myself loads ther but hope it helps. give me something to do for the past 10 mins anyway.