Sign in to follow this  
CorradoDriver

White Smoke

Okay, this isnt a big problem well atleast i hope not, lately iv been seeing white smoke from my exaust, its not that bad but when im at a light i can see it, its been raining for a couple days and has been on the cool side lately but i wanted to make sure its nothing seriose, oh and one more thing the coolant level dropped a bit untill the light came on, maybe some air coming out idk please advise, i

Thanks

Imran

Does not sound good.

White "smoke" is usually indicative of steam - your loss of coolant ties in with this.

Cylinder head gasket failure? Check oil dipstick and see if any globules of water are on it.

Im not an expert like some on the forum, so I am sure you will get more feedback.

Not as bad as it can get - many on this forum will have had to have this done on at least one vehicle they have owned.

Labour is most expensive part as upper part of engine has to be dismantled and put back together with new gasket in.

Many guys on the forum will have done this themselve - I haven't, but if you have a mate/acquaintance that is a mechanic all to the good.

Proper diagnosis of problem is first part of action, though.

VR6 is large, complex engine, so garages will probably quote several hundred dollars for job.

Coolant droplets in oil is confirmation - you are suffering a coolant loss such that the warning light came on - that suggests a serious fault.

By "cold" in the USA in August, I suppose you mean 15C!

We are getting down to 7 or 8C in the early mornings here!

Anyway, forget your car just now - get on with your studying. Succeed in that and you will just be able to buy a new car whenever you dont like the look of your exhaust emission. :wink:

21c to be exact at the moment, anyways, do you think i can do it myself?? i dont need any heavy machinary, its kinda hard to study when my corrado might be in some trouble, is it bad to drive it for now until i figure out the problem??

Go and have a look at the dipstick and oil cap right now mate - then you can look elsewhere if thats not it.

Go... out ya go and have a look now! :)

BTW does the 'smoke' hang around in the air and blow away, or disappear really quickly like magic?

and oil cap

Yep - forgot that one double-6s.

Lots of Mayo (water/oil emulsion) on inside of oil cap and filler neck is clear sign of trouble.

okay, i just checked the oil, everything seems to be in order, the oil cap is clean as a whistle, and the oil is in excellent shape, i changed it about week and a half ago, the smokes not coming out now when i started it, so it seems to look like that maybe when it rained some water might have splashed up into the exaust while driving it has been raining for about 4 days now, sucks, thanks for the help though

Imran

How the smoke disappears will tell you a bit more mate. If it stays around and can be seen blowing away its smoke. If it just disappears fairly quickly without 'blowing away' it's steam. Both are white and smoke-like! :)

well it sorta blows around like at a light it somtimes passes the car from he front, idk it seems to be fixed now idk, u think if i hook it up 2 a vag com id find anything out??

Glad to hear you think the oil is OK.

You need to correct the coolant loss, though.

Even if it is not being blown out of your exhaust as steam, it is too expensive to keep wetting your highways with!