Sign in to follow this  
fla

Strange BMW E36 issue

I know its not C related, but I thought that maybe someone would have some idea on this:

During driving at any speed above say about 50mph, it will just swerve as though being blown hard from one side by a strong gust of wind. There is no audible sound from the bearings, the wheels are tight, the steering feels tight (have tried swerving at low speed from right to left to see if there is any play), brakes re ok (no binding etc), power is not cut to the engine, i've bounced the suspension by hand and it recovers ok on all corners. And once its done it, the car will drive absolutely normally again, no pulling to either side, until the next time. It just seems quite bizarre. And it doesnt happen at low speed. It can also be to any side, not just one way. Any ideas on what to look for or what to try? Kevhaywire, didnt you have a beamer previously - any nuggets of wisdom? Oh, mileage is about 65k, 94 model.

I used to find my old E36 coupe used to swerve like that with just the slightest gust of wind sometimes - was such a difference when I got my C, with it being so stable.

After it's swerved and you've corrected it, does it keep swerving?

Could be a problem regarding the PS pump's pressure limiter valve,try jacking the car up and 'driving' it on the stands to see if you can replicate the problem,also check the steering rack carefully,are there any leaks from the rack?.

Also,if possible,run the car without the belt that operates the power steering pulley and see if it still plays up.

I don't remember if your Bmw has the same system as fitted to Honda legends,big Rovers etc were at speed above 50mph the steering gets progressivly harder to give more feel at speed?.

kerrinmay, it doesnt keep swerving per se, its just that it will do a single swerve and then run correctly for a while (maybe 20 minutes) after which it will suddently swerve again.

VEEDUBBED, thanks for the suggestion. Do you think any leaks form teh rack would show up with fluid being dropped on the driveway? Plus would my low speed full-right full-left lock bring up any problems?

Maybe, but the oil may also be leaking into the rack's gaitors and if there not split the oil will build up inside.Whatever the cause is i suggest you get it sorted quick 'cos it sounds very dangerous.

Regarding the left/right hand lock to lock,possibly, but first check the steering gear like i suggested.You could also get the steering rack's operating pressure checked at a Bmw garage/dealer with their dedicated testing gear.

check the front wishbone bushes and check the rear arm bushes the ones on the chassis infront off the wheels, the rear springs aways snap at the bottom aswell e36 and 46

My brother in law had a problem *like* this with his car (e36 320 auto)

he said it was as if the car was steering from the rear, it may or *may not* be similar.

After about 2 weeks from first noticing it the rear hub assy. collapsed and the 1/2 shaft broke, he`s not sure what caused it but here was no noise at all. he fixed it and sold the car.

Think ive heard of rear subframe mounts shearing off the chassis on e36's causing similar symptoms when there on there way out?