Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Removing Window Tints

Bonjour

Has anyone got any tips for removing tinting film from windows? - Is it difficult to do? Whats the best stuff to use to get it off?

Cheers

I use a glass scraper (Tesco sell draper ones that are really good) for taking stickers etc off with a bit of fairly liquid...

Not sure if it will work on tinting film but i'm thinking if you get underneath it then it should just pull off...

Not tried it personally, but I'd assume a hairdrier/hot air gun and some 'sticky goo remover' type stuff from Maplin or similar would do the trick...

Helped a mate do it, he runs a tinting business. He uses a wallpaperstripper, NOT the industrial-spec ones, they will damage the glass. A cheap £15 one from machine-mart will be fine and some soapy water. Use a PLASTIC ice-scraper and don't use it too hard against the glass to avoid scratches.

Cheers and HTH

As mentioned by Dinkus

If you can, use a heat gun (We uactually use a paint stripper gun), a hairdryer will do as well but will take a bit longer. Heat the film all over, this will soften the adhesive & should allow the film to come off in one go (i.e. without breaking).

Then remove any left over gum using White Spirits on a tissue. The adhesive on the window film is oil based so the white spirit will desolve it & wont effect any paintwork on the car. It really is easy when you know how!

IMO, personally I wouldn't use a paint-stripper gun, as they tend to put out a bit too hot temp (from 500-800 deg cent. !!), which potentially can damage / crack the glass.

You could be right. We use them everyday & so, are used with the correct distance to keep it from the glass. Remember you are only softening the adhesive not trying to burn the stuff off. You would need to be a bit careless to hold it in one position for long enough to damage the glass.

Trust me they are the best tool for doing this job & I'd say a lot safer than taking any sort of scraper to the glass.

when i re-did mine i pull the tints off, used a razor as already mentioned and used nail varnish remover to remove the clue, then cleaned the windows with classex