Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Slight knock from front of Mk2

Not specifically Corrado related, but I wonder if anyone can give some advice on the following problem on Mk2Golf ( - It does have a Corrado engine fitted tho' :lol: )

Got a '91 8v Mk2 fitted with Eibach arb's, Koni front shocks (fitted a good few years ago) & the front wishbones have powerflex bushes (about 18 months old). I had G60 front brakes fitted about 3 years ago with new 19mm balljoints, but used the existing bearings. The car has power steering BTW

Recently I noticed a slight knocking noise when taking off in 1st & sometimes in 2nd, & sometimes when driving slowly in carparks etc when steering from lock to lock, or if I drive over an uneven surface. Just a slight knock that seemed to come from behind the pedalbox on the drivers side. I've replaced the front & the rear engine mounts & the this seemed to cure it.

Past couple of days though the noise seems to have re appeared. The Eibach bushes are all good & there doesn't seem to be any play in the lower balljoints. I checked the main subframe to body mounting bolts too, just in case they'd worked loose somehow. I nipped up the bolts on the front engine cradle (next to the front bumper mounting point) since they were not entirely tight, but the noise remains

Could it be the front suspension top mounts?. These were GSF ones that were fitted with the Konis, but I'm sure since it's been lowered 40mm they could well be shot. What are the normal symptoms of a failed top mount?

I'm thinking that any play in the top mount would be accentuated by the larger diameter front anti roll bar, hence causing the noise & sloppiness to be felt through where the centre arb bush sitsbetween the subframe & body (ie drivers footwell area)??

Does this seem plausible? Anything else it could be - knackered front bearing, dodgy inner cv etc ??

Cheers for any pointers

Ah steering rack bushes - didn't think of that! Are these a pain to change (on a power steering rack)? Do I need to drop the subframe, or could I put my new flex head ratchet spanners from Halfords to good use? :D

Top mounts I've done before so I'm pretty confident there but havent done the rack before

Cheers

Mike