Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

G60 Alternater

Seeing as my alternater is on its way out i thought i would pay VAG a visit, they are £212 + vat for a 90 amp item! didnt think they would be that expensive! has anyone else had similar issues? seems way to expensive to me?

just use a 65amp Mike.. 90amp is only needed for air con cars or somthing running a big ice install

i got a 90 amp one mike! think the matey before wanted to put multiple tv's in there etc at the mo the ice is reasonable 12 speakers 1 sub amp and did have the tv/cd player in there! Andy

ask em for trade discount.....or find a place that rebuild yours

whats wrong with your old one? bearings are about £35 fitted and a voltage reg £10 diy

its not making enough voltage on cold starts.. therefore makes the car run rich / rough for the first 5 mins untill battery is charged....

Yeah i saw a thread by sam on Dubforce.. ideally i would wanna go for VAG to be honest... havent had much luck in the past with aftermarket alternators...

id try a new voltage reg for the sake of £10 and 5 mins with a screwdriver

for the sake of £10 and a screwdriver its a lot cheaper! will give that a go...

I take it i can get one from gsf?

Thanks mate

Changed the alternator today for a brand new one from VAG... i am still only getting less than 12.8 volts accross poles with all the electrics on..? it should read more than 12.8 so that the ecu doesnt go into limp mode??

What else can i check??

tested mine in the week and its 13.9 at idle with the lamps and hrw on.....might be a failed battery or duff battery leads

try a overnight trickle charge and see what the battery is when stood

the cables you need to worry about are the battery to starter, starter to alternator cable, and the earth cable goes from battery to the inner wing then to gearbox

ive heard of people running a extra earth cable from the alt housing to the block too

id clean up the strap from the battery to the starter mount bolt.

You can have the car running, put your meter on battery live and put the earth of the meter on the alternator housing ans see what readings you get

checked the voltage accross the alternator to battery and its around 13.5 volts..?

Also gunn acheck the cables to and from starter, and also the earth strap on gearbox... which i dont think i have on my car...Thanks guys! 8)

So was i right? If i was, your guna have to come over to the island and fix mine :lol:

Will check how many volts i have today just incase i have same prob

Checked all earth straps and added a few etc.. after adding a few more earth wires to cyl head and alternator etc, i get a voltage of 12.5 accross battery terminals... it was 12.3...

From what i can tell the battery to starter cables mentioned by steveo do look a bit tired.. i am gonna get some more cable from work and have a go at replacing the lot.. i am assuming that the older the cable may cause more resistance therefore there would be a voltage drop?? i am no electrician but its gotta be worth a shot!

i am fairly lucky that i can probably nick atleast 80% of what i need from work so shouldnt cost me anything... :)