Sign in to follow this  
popper

Sticking fan on overrun

Have a problem with my vr, didn something silly the other day - topped up water in my expansion tank and then drove to work. When I got there I noticed steam coming from the bonnet and realised id left the cap off the expansion tank doh! anyway luckily the car wasnt overheating particularly, but a lot of water had evaporated. Went back to the car to fill it up with water/antifreeze later in the day and the fans had been running all day!? resulting in a flat battery. jump started the car and got home ok, but now the fan seems to be sticking on, I think its just on overrun when I turn the ignition off, pain in the ass as im having to disconnect the battery when I leave the car.

Thinking this has got to be a switch problem? but after advice on which switch i need to replace?

The coolant lost from the bottle has damaged the fan control box under the water bottle. I have seen a number of cars catch fire due to these getting coolant in them. VW realised (rather late) that it was a stupid place to put the unit and on other models it is in a more sensible place.

Thanks for that, any idea how much a new control box is likely to be? Is it going to be a genuine vag part or do gsf do one?