Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

G60 Oil filter seal

Hi All,

Anyone ever had this problem? Its happened 3 times now since I picked up the car in June. Its not a major issue as all I have to do is drop the filter off and reseat the seal then do it back up an refill with synta silver, Only thing is I dont want it to happen when I am miles from anywhere!

I have put two new filters on and I cant see a problem with the oil cooler/heater think I am going to have to change it anyway unless anyone has another suggestion?

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the response guy's, I have not had new bearings and from what I can see from the recepts for work done on the car nothing has been done to the engine since it was rebuilt in 2003 and it had a new pump fitted then so any ideas why it might have gone? Also why would the oil pressure go up I assumed that if the pump was fu*ced the pressure would have gone down?

p.s G-man see you on the open day :-)

Cheers

Dan

Possibly a faulty oil pump with a jammed relief valve, maybe it has the wrong number four journal upper main bearing, the only way to tell is to strip it down.

Hey Crasher,

Thanks for the ideas, It would make sense for it to be the oil pump pressure relief valve as all three times its happened right after you start the car, if I whip the sump off and drop the oil pump out do you think it should be fairly easy to release the valve? Or should I just get another new oil pump?

Cheers

Dan

it's new pump time mate, they aren't serviceable. I'll have a word with a bloke and try to borrow an oil pressure gauge that we could hook up to it if you want.

Other wise the pump isn't too bad, th main problem is the 2 sump bolts at the flywheel end. :bad-words:

main problem is the 2 sump bolts at the flywheel end. :bad-words:

1/4 drive socket and a wobble extension gets to em easy

Looks like I will have to pester those nice parts people at my local VW garage again! Looking at the bently manual though its shows the pressure relief valve in the lower pump cover so will try and see if I can just get that insted of the whole pump, hopefully it will be nice and cheap :-)

[/img]

Tom, sorry I never got to calling you today, having problems with the Golf now! Spent the day sorting a charging problem but its all good now, will give you a shout Monday may need to borrow a wobble extension? :-)

Cheers all

Dan

Tom, sorry I never got to calling you today, having problems with the Golf now! Spent the day sorting a charging problem but its all good now, will give you a shout Monday may need to borrow a wobble extension? :-)

Cheers all

Dan

Nah, don't worry about it, didn't get up till late and ended up getting my tractor out and doing a bit of work for my parents until it was dark anyway. Afraid I haven't got a 1/4 drive set, think that's where it went wrong when i did mine!! haha. Did you get the golf sorted?

I got a lift out Sunday morning to pick up the Golf from outside work jumped in and went to drive off when I noticed the battery light not going off, managed to nurse it 20 miles home and spent the afternoon replacing rotten bits of loom but its all working fine now :-)

However think I am going to have to keep the Golf and the Corrado apart from now on as the Golf is obviously picking up bad habits!

Far as the G60 goes its booked into the garage on Tuesday to have the drive shaft looked at so I think I might be lazy this time and get them to throw in a new oil pump, would rather do it my self but I don't think I am going to have time as I am taking it down to Plymouth next weekend and could really do without it leaving me stranded in jannerville!

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated as always :-)

Cheers

Dan

Anyone have any advice regarding GSF oil pumps? There are half the price of any others I have found and while that is a cool thing I would rather it lasted than have to change the b*st*rd again in a years time, is it worth paying the £90 for a VAG one?

Cheers all

Dan

Looking through the recepts I have for the engine rebuild in 2003 its shows Oil Pump Corrado G60 £49.50 + VAT so it looks like it was a GSF replacement.

I have to change the sump at some point so I think I will go for the cheap option for now, will drop it out and change it for a VAG one next year, at least the old one lasted 3 years!

Cheers for the advice

Dan