bad idle 2.0 16v SORTED !!!!

hi all,

for at least the last 6 months my c has had a dodgy idle

posted on here about it a few times and got some good advise

ie check for vacum leaks

how to clean the isv

however the problem was still there , changed the throttle body-didnt help

got a new throttle potentiometer-didnt help

so today was really annoyed with the situation, and bit by bit started feeling all the pipes for air leaks-still no joy until i got to the two small hoses that join under the big rubber pipe, touching them seemed to alter the idle-progress

took it all off for a good look hoping/expecting to see something-guess what

all was as it should be :mad:

put it all back together and realised that i hadnt put the electric plug back on the throttle body, went to do it and noticed that the blue wire seemed a bit longer than the other two, gave it a wee tug and it stretched

eureka moment :D quickly stripped the rubber protective bit off and found the brown wire and the blue wire were both broken but the covering wasnt(not sure how this happened) dont really care either

stripped both wires and rejoined them, and put the plug on

STEADY IDLE :D :D :D :D

tried it a few times since and all is well. fantastic :lol:

i know a lot of people on here have similar problems and i would advise checking the state of the wiring around the tb and the isv

i found this by pure luck and useful pointers from various forum members cheers all :D :D :D :D :D :-P

Nice when this happens- well done!

I recently had a very loud creaking from the engine bay, which lasted 2-3 weeks- it has just totally disappeared on it's own 8)

are you sure it wasnt that miniture stormtrooper under your bonnet playing wiyh your air intake hose :lol:

I know how frustrating this can be as i've been suffering the same sort of issue for some time now. We think we've traced it down to a bad #1 ignition lead - when connecting it up to a multimeter, we are unable to get any kind of signal down it at all!! Surprised the car runs at all to be honest!

I've got some new Beru's on the way - looking forward to getting them on and seeing how the car behaves!

Also think there is something funny with my ISV. Occasionally after a lot of driving in town (stop start) revs will suddenly change to idle at just over 1,100RPM. Only way to clear it is turn off ignition and turn it on again - interestingly, you can instantly reproduce exactly the same effect by disconnecting the ISV with the engine running and connecting it back up again so thinking that either it is on the way out, or there is a crack in the cabling to it or something...

Its all good fun and a learning experience! ;)

i agree jim its all good fun, especially when there is light at the end of the tunnel.

i've been following your progress keenly.

hope the leads sort it out for you :)