Sign in to follow this  
fatdaz

just got the bits

my m8s g60 has a worryingly high water temp?

On a run it sits at about 70, in traffic it creeps upto just under 110,

Might aswell just replace all the switches and whatever else mite cause it?

Its not losing any water etc, and judging by previous posts i think its the switches and thermoswitch thingys,

Can anyone tell me what i should replace so i know what to order.

Blue switch blackk switch etc etc

cheers :wink:

Blue sender is the one to start with - its not cheap from VW but at least its accurate, both times I've had temp concerns I have started here and its solved it on both occassions

Sounds like the fan's not kicking in...

Check the radiator fan switch, fuse in fuse box which controlls the fan (or check the 2 by the expansion tank if you have ABS)

cheers, all the fuses are ok, the fan does work but im not sure if it kicks in early enough? so if i replace the blue temp sender switch and the rad fan thermoswitch should that be ok?

yup.... if there's power there and the thermo switch has been changed for a good new one, then the fan should kick in at both speeds... If is still doesn't, it could be a dodgy resistor pack within the fan motor which, unfortunately, isn't changable... :(

Blue temp sensor just tells the ECU what temp the engine's at.

Black temp sensor is the sender for the dashboard temp gauge.

cool, looking on gsf they r cheap, so hopefully vw shudnt be a lot more??? mite aswell just renew both black and blue switches and the rad fan switch aswell and see what happens :s

cheers for the help :)

rad switch is about £8 IIRC, blue/black temp sensors are less than £25 for the pair.

has anyone got the part numbers for the blue and black switch and the rad fan switch? just rang local stealer and they need either engine code which i cannot get in time or part numbers????

engine code for a G60 is PG

Tell them it's the BLUE water temp sensor and the BLACK water temp sensor that sits in the front coolant flange on the head... if they can't get it from that, ask to talk to their supervisor and advise them to sack the muppet who can't read ETKA 'cos it's a piece of p!$$ to find from that! :lol: :twisted:

ordered them from vw now as a few people said gsf ones werent as good?!?!? oh well he needs em so what the heck.......

furrynuff...

I tend to get the GSF ones now as I replace them whenever I do a headgasket change, which has been far to regular at the moment... :roll:

I had the GSF ones in mine... they ran for about 6 months then needed replacing again. Better off with quality parts as the GSF ones seem very low quality.

just got the bits, how the hell do i fitem? the rad switch looks simple enough, screw out screw in jobby.

The blue and black temp senders dont have a thread or anything so do they just pull out / push in???

Yep, just pull out and push back in - I'd advise you change the rubber ring seals on them - VW dealers usually automatically supply them with the senders

ok just changed them, JUST! LOL, word of warning to everyone, dont change them until the engines has cooled down! as soon as i took the clip off the thing shot in my face!!! Hahahahah, hot water and eye ball dont mix very well! lol DOH!!!!!!

Have you checked that both speeds work on the fan by shorting the connection?

Take the plug off the back of the switch that you have changed in the radiator. There should be a solid red wire on one side of the plug and a red/black and a red/white wire going into it. If you short the contacts between the solid red wire and the other two (one at a time) the fan should fire up. One wire controls slow fan (95oC) and the other fast fan (105oC).

If the slow fan doesnt work then you have a knackered fan, which cant be fixed as the speed controlling bit is housed within the fan unit. You can 'bodge' the wiring though if required.

This was a problem I had, changing the senders didnt make any difference to mine.

The fan will always kick in a little higher than the temperature that is seen on the dashboard. I think this is because the dashboard temp is taken as soon as the water exits the head, whereas the radiator thermoswitch sees the water temp after some of the heat had dissipated travelling down the pipes.

When mine is working as it should then it sits at about bang on 100oC on the dash temp gaugue. That is when the car is warmed up and standing and the fans are kicking in/out.

Edit: Forgot to say, the temperatures are actually stamped onto the side of the rad thermoswitch, next to the part number

When I changed my BTS it leaked like crazy had to get a new rubber o-ring for it to its only pennies from GSF :wink:

Slide the retaining clips from the plastic housing and the two sensors should lift out with a bit of a tug. Inspect the rubber o-rings and replace if they are worn or split.

Just make sure the water is not hot ;)

cheers for the help guys, wel start messing again later today so il try that thing with tha fan, i have got a feeling it is what u say and the fan could well be buggered. :s

we'll see later on