Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

16V Rocco chased by police car video

As seen on the 1.6 billion new Internet TV-channel, Youtube :lol:

Dutch TV programme, german 16V Rocco being chased by Dutch coppers, and finally stopped in Germany.

Initial impression was "Wow, cool car, oh yes, it's a Rocco, of course, look how well it handles, especially on the tight Autobahn exit (they are f*cking tight in Germany, as those that went on the Karmann trips will be able to testify)"

Then the commentatorship towards the end of the video revealed it all: 3 litres of beer, 0.35 permille alcohol (well above the legal limit in the Netherlands, where the car was first breaking the law), drugs influence (some of which were thrown out of the window still driving in the Netherlands, resulting 3 months without a license (penalties for these things are fairly "cheap" in Germany, where the guy got booked by the German police), and a fine of approx. 3 to 4k Euros. The latter is a shame, as you can get a stonking good 16V Rocco for that money.

Tempest

Look how calm the police are!! Would you receive the same sensible hands off chat after that in the UK, i think not!!

Nice rocco, although it looks like he was so drunk he'd thrown up over the steering wheel lol

Always liked the idea of sticking a valver into a rocco, might well get around to it now!

I hope that MK.III Goof they were chasing him in was a VR! although I suspect he ran out of revs rather than power.

Yeah, bring on the Dutch police, chilled out or what 'And this is my gay lover'... stereotypes ;)

Trust you to find that. What car did they pass at 2:30? I love the guys use of indicator - I presume he knows he's being chased. Also love those wallowy roads.

StuartFZR400, think it's an old Merc...

I take it he actually lost the police then and they only found him afterwards? Looks like he was trying to say "nah, wasn't me guv, must have been someone else with my numberplate in an identical car!" when he's sat talking to the copper while having a fag... :lol:

Always liked the idea of sticking a valver into a rocco, might well get around to it now!

There's one going (KR engine) on the German Sciroccoforum for a measely 1200 Euros :shock:

Germany had 2 16V engine types in their Roccos: KR (139 PS) and PL (with CAT, 129 PS).

Yeah, bring on the Dutch police, chilled out

Well, their comments were rather sarcastic, as they knew full well, that they can shaft him, and they did. Still, as it's the German police ultimately enforcing the law in their country, the driver IMHO got away "cheaply", loss of license for only 3 months ... tsts. When I tell my Germna mates to stop whinging about just having lost their license for 3 months, I remind them that in the UK you lose your license for a whole year. They then shut up :lol:

Looks like he was trying to say "nah, wasn't me guv, must have been someone else with my numberplate in an identical car!" when he's sat talking to the copper while having a fag...

Almost, as he actually tried to claim that he hadn't noticed that he was being chased by the police :lol: He also initially claimed that he was sober, then admitted he'd had one beer. Once he'd done his blojob thing :lol: he corrected his statement with it was a large beer, to which the Dutch copper (:lol:) said that it must have been a 3 litre beer or something. The German coppers then let the drug dogs out :lol:

Tempest

How - how casual were the coppers! The guy is sitting in the car smoking a fag chatting as if they're just asking him about his car!

And talk about car geek - I thought to myself when they were in the residential bits how much like a VR engine the car they were in revved like.. and lo and behold it was a Golf VR. How embarassing! ;)

There's one going (KR engine) on the German Sciroccoforum for a measely 1200 Euros :shock:

Germany had 2 16V engine types in their Roccos: KR (139 PS) and PL (with CAT, 129 PS).

No point really Eric, can get a KR lump with box for around £100 and with the KR engine I might even be able to loose the stupid brake pedal linkage thingy as the intake manifold won't get in the way. That and the steering wheel will be on the correct side! Only issue would be finding a 16v' rocco intake manifold but I have one already :wink:

What would you need the Rocco intake manifold for, if you're, as I understand it, looking at reshuffling the engine bay, such that the MBC lies in a straight line with the pedal, i.e. on the right hand side of the car (looking in driving direction)? You won't have any space then for the airfilterbox, which is why the whole lot gets transferred to the right hand side of the engine bay, with a Goof KR intake manifold.

Unless you're looking at building a proper Rocco, i.e. one with the steering wheel on the left hand side (there were no brake linkage issues there at all, ever :-) ). To demonsrtate that, we could ask the nice bloke in the above video, whether he would be so kind enough to open the bonnet on his 16V Rocco :lol:

Tempest

Because it is easier to leave the battery and fuel lines on the l/h side of the engine bay ;)

Anyway just a pipe dream ATM

On the topic of building a Rocco 16v. I've just noticed a pretty smart looking Mk1 1.6 Rocco for £800. Dunno how good a price that is, but I just thought I'd mention it, just in case...

smart looking Mk1 1.6 Rocco for £800.

:shock: Cheap, very cheap, as good Mk1 tend to now fecth several thousand!

Then again, depends in what condition this Mk1 for 800 is, as they do tend to rust, sometimes beyond (welding) repair.

If that's the 1.6 GTI engine, it's a very fun, revvy engine to drive, BTW, the Ur-GTI engine, in fact :-)

Tempest

I didn't look too hard at it, but it didn't seem obviously rusty. If you know anyone who's interested I'll saunter down and get the phone number off it, and have a bit better look at it.