Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Old beetle buying guide...

does anyone have any good info websites for advice on buying an old beetle that i can print off for my mate.

Got about £750 to spend on an old herbie stlye one.

Just wanting something to print off.

ive bought a few beetles in the past.

for £750 the beetle may be rotten so you will end up spending £1000's just on geting it up to standard.

not sure of any buying guides

main problems is the heater channels esp near where they get close to the rear wheel.

we picked up our current one for £2600 and thats an import 96 model, looks exactly the same as a 1972 beetle but has injection, disc brakes, metalic paint and also the running gear aint "old"

sorry dont know of any, i learnt from word of mouth and buying some bad ones thats the best way to learn how not to bget another one like it lol

basically i would say rust is the biggest worry, anything too bad then walk away.

i looked at one the other day that looked mint and was going cheap £700, but was rotten.

so be warned, good luck. if you like i can give you my mobile and we can talk on phone, pm me if you like

I've got a 72' bug, The number 1 thing, as quicky1980 said, make sure the heater channels are good. Other things that can get costly are floorpans, and rust around the roof guttering.

I assume this is a project car? At £750, I wouldn't expect an immaculate paint job, and if it wants respraying don't worry too much about dents in the wings, new ones from GSF are about £20 each, or £10 for decent second hand ones. (those were the days, try getting corrado wings for that price!)

Usually with engines, as long as they sound right, they should be ok, but don't take that as gospel, most are on at least the 2nd engine by now, and second hand blocks can be had for around £200.

Don't worry about milage at all. Mines on 42k, but it's probably been round the clock a few times.

Get a 72' or earlier to be tax exempt :wink: .

the early (pre 67') ones are more desirable but also more expensive to buy.

http://www.volkszone.com is the best forum to look on.

I bought mine for £500, had a crappy paint job, and rusty wings, but it flew through an MOT (wouldn't now, mind 8) ). Though i think they're going for more money these days. They're great little cars, and so simple to work on. you're mate will be hooked in no time.

Hope that helps. I'll have a think if there's anything i've missed.

Jonny