Sign in to follow this  
thetino

Help buying a corrado

Hey all

Not new to the VW scene. I've had polo's since 1991, and currently drive a modded G40(J9 OLO green euro look on RSL 8's for those interested), and my partner is on her 2nd Clipper(approaching 150k).

Anyway a few weeks ago we decided we really wanted a Corrado. After looking at insurance quotes and consumption, we have decided on a VR6.

After much trailing, we have decided to look at a few. One is a mint storm with a few choice mods which we would do any way, sounds mint but has 120k. Its had an engine rebuild at 70k though including pistons and block.also had chains and tenstioners then.

I guess the question is what potential problems am I looking at, and what is the likelyhood of reselling the car in 3 years time and 150k?

Should I look at a lower mileage car. Bearing in mind that by the time I add coilies, induction kit and wheels, and sorted the paint it will probably cost me more than the storm mentioned above. A 90 k one will fetch a premium, but will have 120k when I resell.

Or should I just get a mint standard storm with lower mileage like the one Sane has for sale.

Also anyone know the modded storm. I think the reg is M999DAS, and its been mag featured on BBS rims etc?

Also if anyone is hiding a nice VR let me know!!

dazYates.jpg

Lovely car that one, well it was back when it was featured in VWM not sure what its like now. know your Polo from the pitstop forum by the way.

if it still looks that mint go for it, 120k isn't alot for a car of this age, + the main bits have been sorted and like you say the mods you want have been done already.

Nice car, owned by Daz King --must be selling, not on the forum but lives Bounemouth - Corozin knows him well.

It would be nice to have lower mileage car but 120k is still pretty low to be honest. There are guys on here that have done 200k+ and still going strong. I wouldnt let the mileage sway your decision.

- Ross

Welcome to the forum.

If there's one thing i've learned from my Corrado, it's that milage isn't everything. My car had done 77k when I bought it, and looked mint too. Before then it'd had the auto gearbox rebuilt and the heater matrix done. Since I bought it, i've put a new engine in, and had a load of issues with cooling.

Lesson learned: In most cases, it's far better to buy a car with 120k+ that's lived a good life being driven and looked after, than to buy a low miler that probably spent some time sitting around being neglected.

One more thing (How can I say this without stepping on any toes)... Storms are a pretty overrated In my opinion. Yes they're rarer, but really you're paying for a badge, a colour, some wheels, and not much else. For the same money you're more likely to get a blinding VR with some change left over to personalise it.

Good luck finding one, you'll never regret buying it, I still don't! :D

For the same money you're more likely to get a blinding VR with some change left over to personalise it.

And cheaper insurance, i got quoted a grand extra for a storm over a standard VR6!!!

Mate, first of all welcome to the forum and good choice in choosing a corrado :lol: 120k is not much for the VR6 mate as they are a 6 cylinder engine. I bought mine at 125k and its now on 132k and at the Stealth rolling road day was one of the healthiest engines and i got a very good 202bhp and 196lb/ft standard!!

I'd buy the one you first mention, simply because you say it works out cheaper in the long run.

You know you can afford the insurance and petrol. Also bear in mind the higher costs of the VR6, simply that parts need renewing much sooner than the less powerfull cars; less of an issue if you can do most of the work your self. So if you look at other VR's, consider what work has NOT been done.

Although not new to VW, I'd still make use of the forum Buying Guide too

One more thing (How can I say this without stepping on any toes)... Storms are a pretty overrated In my opinion. Yes they're rarer, but really you're paying for a badge,

Exactly why you shouldn't have any problems selling it in 3 years time. Whereas the 16v's are dropping off, although I reckon they'll pick up come summer and all the boyracers with mummies money go hunting.