Sign in to follow this  
Mr Sands

Quick question re: Golf Mk III 16v GTIs

Have had a quick look through the search but didn't find too much of relevance. As above, brother has chance of buying from a reliable colleague a silver, 5 door Mk III 16v GTI, FSH, 89,000 miles, cambelt changed and full recent service. Only two owners, appears not to have been thrashed. Given that he lives in London, this is about the best option from a crime and insurance point of view.

My opinion is that it sounds like a good deal at £2100, given that my brother knows and trusts the bloke and that this is the lowest he is prepared to go price wise.

Just wondered if out of those of you who have run them, what this sounds like to you and, crucially, what sort of things need checking on it. What are the culprits for going wrong?

Thanking you in advance.

Nice cars, final and best development of the VW 1.8/2L 16v engine. Good high lift cams and more mid range than the Corrado 2L 16v. Most mk3 16v's out perform the 150bhp they're rated at.

At that age it'll benefit from replacement of all the suspension bushes making it drive much tighter and more precisely, it has basically the same components as the VR6 corrado but better build quality.

Check for the usual VW gearbox synchro problems on 1st and 2nd and the treadwear on the tyres should give some idea of any suspension/bushes problems.

It'll probably be better if it's been driven fairly hard, they don't particularly like tootling about and few people drive them as they were designed (right through the rev range.)

Like any car of that age it's individual condition and not really specific faults or low mileage that are the best to look for.

David.

Yeah, the ABF is a nice engine, reliable and well managed...

It does sound like a good car and if the body work is good and the history checks out then the price sounds right but as David says, 80k is the time when all these rubber parts really need replacing to keep the ride quality so make sure he budgets for this...

The only thing I would say is that MK3's are now not very popular with the MKV making the IV cheaper and I would say good mk1's and MK2's will fetch more money so also bare this in mind if he is only planning on having it a year or two.

Thanks for all the responses chaps. I thought it was about the money, perhaps a little over the odds but not by much.

Goldie, I always forget something! It's on a P plate.

davidwort, take the point about it being good to find one which has been used rather than mollycoddled. I think this one should be about right, based on what he's told me about it!

Think he might go for it: it's all about finding something good to drive which isn't at a ridiculous risk of being nicked in Hackney! After all, it's now officially the worst place to live in the country!

Will keep you posted on how it turns out.