Sign in to follow this  
RashG60

Under bonnet chrome / mirrors

When you lift the bonnet, you have some foam type material on the inside of the bonnet, which i presume is there for heat protection or something.

Anyway i have seen this on a golf where the foam has been replaced with chrome / mirror.

Anyone done this mod and know where i can get further details?

Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

Rash

I'd say you would have to replace the foam with a polished aluminium (looks like mirror), as chrome would be v. expensive & mirror would be easily broken. Its unlikely that you can get ones to fit the c, if not you could make your own.

You can buy sheets of the aluminium from stockosts (trade price approx £55 for 1220 x 610 x 1mm). Then you make a template of the sections under the bonnet & cut the sheet to suit. You would probably need to secure the aluminium with a 2 part acrylic adhesive.

Let us know how you get on

(I've ticked the 'notify me' box on this thread)

It's normally done with a mirror backed plastic. The only thing is that you have to make sure that it's heat resistant! :lol:

I've also seen it done with polished stainless steel, but that guy was a nutter and loved trying to keep shiney bits clean! :? :lol:

The foam is mainly for sound deadening...

Thanks guys,

Looks like I have a few options to go by. My engine bay isn't chrome and shiny but it is most definately clean and spotless. I just thought the mirror effect would finish the look.

To be quite honest the foam bits have started peeling off and I would much rather replace them with something a bit better.

I will start looking into it and hopefully if I ever get them done I will post the details onto the forum.

Cheers once again,

Rash

you will have lots of fun taking the foam off,ive started and gave up,it is stuck on pretty damn well,and you can get the mirror film from demon tweeks

Don't put me off before I have even started!!!!

Do Demon Tweeks do sheets or already cut to size plates?

Were you intending to do the same mod before you gave up?

ill be doing it as soon as i get more time,you will have to cut the sheets to size yourself ,it comes in a 75x140cm roll,ive tried using thinners,petrol etc and a hot air gun which worked but give yourself loads of time to do it