Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Engine - tapetty tap tap

As there could be a few reasons for the following problem, can anyone list what I could be looking for, in order of 'easiest to check' first?

The engine is making a funny, fast, tapping noise and it doesnt go away. It kind of speeds up with the engine revs, but its hard to tell, as the engine/road gets noisy.

The noise continues at idel, in neutral, in gear and with the clutch in; so doesnt seem drive-shaft related. Oil level in engine is perfect.

Any suggestions?

- now I used the word "tapping" but Im hoping its not tappets; not sure what they sound like?!?!?!

- with those symptoms, can it be the alternator? or would that noise go away? and is it not engine speed relateD?

chances are its tappets....no big deal if it is

why dont you get someone with a little experiance to have a listen , its not hard to diagnose if the tappets are at fault

Does it eventually go away after 5-10 minutes Stuart or is it permanent?

on every vr i've had, warming the engine and then holding it at a steady 3500rpm gets rid of tappet noise unless they are totally shagged. don't know the valver engine but this solves most hydraulic tappet issues - unless they are totally shagged and require replacement - but even this aint drastic or expensive.

The "rev the crap outa it" procedure actually works BETTER at 6:30 in the morning on a residential street, because the seething anger from the residents who have been woken unceremoniously actually shames the tappets into quietening down more quickly.

Does it eventually go away after 5-10 minutes Stuart or is it permanent?

Nope, this stays all journey. The first time the car has ever had a sound that does stay.

Might get Tempest to have a listen if he's free. Or if you're free any time JIM?

No idea what replaced tappets should cost ---- do you?

tappets are about £8 each at gsf....you can get them apart to clean them or use a flushing oil, but if yours never goes away i doubt flushing oil will fix it

Try Winns engine flush with your next oil change (like soon). I have found it to be the best so far. If the tappy noise is still there then tappets should be your next call.

I tried the winns stuff but not sure i let is run enough before another change. How long do you leave the winns in the oil before changing again. I think I did about 1,500km before changing.

ATF gear oil is a ace flush , lots of people use it over on clubgti

i put some in our old junker polo and it cleaned it a treat

I have that very same problem, constant tapping. I changed the oil and it didnt help, though i didnt flust the engine out. Ill give that a go and if it doesnt help ill get the tappets changed. Engine sounds awful though :(

my vr makes that noise too and I had wondered about the tappets.

more expense then :roll: worth it to own this car though :D

Try some Wynns 'hydraulic valve lifter treatment' in the oil a coupled of hundred miles before an oil change too...makes a huge difference in reducing tappety head noise! :wink:

I paid £110 inc VAT for all 16 from a local company autovolks who are supplied from GSF. Its the best thing i've ever done the car runs like new and doesn't sound embarrasing anymore.

If you need them get em done.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado.php are cheap aswell but with the postage on top they may be the same as a local company.

With regard to the use of 'oil treatments'. The actual oil hole in the tappets is very small, and there isn't gonna be a huge amount of oil flowing in and out of the tappets, My reasoning is, that when it's full of oil, it's full. Although they really don't like skanky oil, they generally only sound bad when they're knackered and need replacing anyway. Once they're replaced, you won't have to worry for another 100,000 miles. It'll cost about 0.2 pence a mile in the long run.....

On the website are they termed as 'Hydraulic Cam Followers'?

Cheers

M

Yeah, that's another term for tappets.

I was suffering from noisy tappets on my old valver and did end up having them replaced at Stealth in the end (was about £250 for all parts and labour) but I did (as an interim solution) put in a slightly heavier weight oil and it did make a lot of difference.. was using standard VW Synta Silver which is 10w/40 and went over to some Castrol Magnatec 15w/40 - significantly quietened the whole lot down but as I say did decide to get em changed in the end anyway!

I have had the cam cover off before when i was doing a bit of polishing etc and did wonder how easy it is to replace the tappets. Just from memory i reckon they are the silver circular discs under the cam lobes.

Is replacing them an easy job or does it require removing the cams and special vw tools etc?

Timing belt off, dizzy off, camshafts out, then lift the tappets out. A strong magnet is quite helpfull for lifting them out.

A test to find out if they're knackered or not, is trying to push the little nubbin inside inward. if you can't seem to move it easily, it's ok, if it is quite slack, it's rooted.

ooops, I was describing a 16v. But it would be roughly the same for a VR6, I don't know what happens with the timing chains though.

No cam belt, or dizzy to worry about though.....