Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

Fan problems

I went to my mechanic to get my cam belt changed. when the ignition is turned on a belt comes on, the mechanic reckons this shouldnt happen and means that the car will take a while to warm up. Should a belt come on when the ignition is turned?

I went to my mechanic to get my cam belt changed. when the ignition is turned on a belt comes on, the mechanic reckons this shouldnt happen and means that the car will take a while to warm up. Should a belt come on when the ignition is turned?

i take it you mean bell :?: (like a buzzer)if so it s the low oil pressure buzzer.......you've either got low-oil pressure or its a faulty switch(could have been disturbed when you got the timing belt changed or its just given up the ghost)

sorry if the original post was confusing! Basically when i just turn the ignition on a fan comes on, my mechanic reckons this isnt normal, does this happen on corrados?? he said that it wont cause damage to the engine but it means that it will take longer to warm up??

Does he mean the radiator fan comes on straight away from cold meaing that the engine won't warm up as quickly?

If you don't the fan will stay on all the time,the engine will never get up to temperature especially in winter time !! :x-mas:

The fan could burn out being on constantly.

For a 2 minute job and the switch costing about 10 pounds ish !!

You do the math :wink:

I have just had to replace my cooling fan due to bearings. :(

A used fan will cost approx £70-£100,(new+£300). :mad:

Fitting cost me £50(2 hours of a mechanics time,not an easy job.) :shock:

You do not want to be changing the fan in a hurry!!! :wink: