Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Passat 288 Calipers

I need some advice on 288mm callipers. I recently picked up some Passat front calipers and carriers for a local scrappy, looked to be right. Now ive got all the hoses and banjo bolts Im starting to notice I might have some problems.

The main difference I can see is the way the Passat hose joins to the caliper, there is a small copper pipe that attaches to the caliper then runs to a bracket where it meets the hose. Thought nothing of this at the time having never seen a Mk3 one.

Now that ive got the Goodridge mk2 – mk4 hoses, and using M10x1 bolts ive found that they screw it but don’t fully bottom out, approx 4mm to long.

I was contemplating having the bolts milled down by an appropriate amount to allow for a snug fit. As the calipers are intended for a copper pipe the seal is made at the inner end, as opposed to the outer surface for a banjo.

Is it safe enough to proceed cutting and fitting banjos, or should they be abandoned and look for some Mk3 replacements.

Any help welcomed

They look like the 288's but that hose design was fitted to early G60's - I don't think they are a Banjo fitting mate, you just need to bin the bit of copper and fit standard late Corrado / Mk3 Golh Hoses...

Cheers my good man, having not had the hose off the car what sort of fitment does the standard hose have?

It's just an M10 I think mate - fairly standard... You want a goodridge kit of an early MK3 I think or maybe just a standard late Corrado one.

They do look like the right calipers as they are ATE just without the banjo connection... G60/VR ones are Lucas-Girling...

Ah - got some Mintex 'Extreme' pads too I see - the packaging is ridiculous!

Tell me about it, had a chuckle at the over design on the packaging for whats rather a boring part.

I take it you couldn't get the pagid's either then??

Not sure what to say about the Mintex, bedded them in carefully but i'm getting a really annoying intermittent squeek - thats with brand new calipers too, all greased up properly etc...

I found an image HERE of the standard brake hose, and it looks like it my indeed fit directly, thanks for the info on that.

Nope couldnt get pagid's, but i didn't try very hard to source any. Bought a load of bits from Stealth, Vince said that was the closest he could offer. How long have you had them on for? are they comparable to the pagid's in terms of stopping power and dust production?

Out of curiosity how much did you pay for new calipers?, i've got some large rebuild bills looming, so im felling a little blasé and considering throwing caution to the wind to get the job done right.

Yeah, not sure about the Extremes but thats all GSF can get now...

I had a problem on a mk2 with some Mintex pads squeeking that I took off and sanded and bedded back in several times before changing to some standard Pagid's (that were cheaper) and didn't have any more probs...

I then took the pads back to the shop and they sent the pads back to Mintex for testing and were found to be faulty and I was refunded, I thought i'd give them another try as at least they admitted the fault the first time but I just don't think they match the VW discs as well as pagid do... (Pagid seem to work better than VW's own ones)

They are just a dusty as the FR's and altho they bite well i'm still not sure if they are as good - 1000 miles now so must be fully bedded in...

I paid £55 inc vat for a pair of 280mm calipers (exchange) but that was a trade price from my mate at Audi, I suspect the 288mm ones are more as they are bigger...