Sign in to follow this  
Corvr6

H&R Springs with Koni TA's

I am picking up H&R lowering springs(30mm) this weekend,I have a 94 vr6 and realise I need bigger caps(being supplied).

My question to anyone who has fitted this combination or has done a similar fit is,will I need any additional parts apart from the Koni TA's to make this work. :?:

One other question is am I likely to get rubbing of the wheel arches as I am running 17" TSW Imola's 215/45 profile,they occasionally rub the strut over very bumpy roads on the rear. :?:

Good advice about bump stops,they are knackered. 8)

Maybe you could mail me a copy of your fitting list if thats possible,please :crazyeyes:

Hi when replacing the shocks it's always worth while replacing the top monts as well.

If you go to German and swedish to get the top mounts the bump stops come with them in the kit and its not exspensive :p

If you go to German and swedish to get the top mounts the bump stops come with them in the kit and its not exspensive

I have found the following part numbers for;

45723H Rear bump stops £11.50

45737K Strut top mounting kit £11.00

Sound about right to you?

Front - Check the condition of the plastic damper shrouds and replace if ripped. Top mounts consist of a rubber block and a cartridge bearing. Replace both.

You've got your early spring plates, so that's about it for the front. Make sure the mechanics don't use an airgun when assembling the new kit.

Rear - check the top mounts for compression. Replace if noticably worn/mishaped.

Replace the bump stops and trim 30mm (the lowering drop) off the bottom of them.

If you've gone for adjustable rears aswell, set the ride height circlip to the middle notch.

Set the rear dampers to 3/4 turns from zero (before fitting to car as the speaker shelves prohibit adjustment unless you remove the speakers like I did).

Set the front dampers to 1.5 turns from zero.

That should give you a firm, bounce-less ride.

Kev

Thanks for your words of wisdom Kev 8) ,I have printed them out and will reccomend the mechanics have a quick read :crazyeyes: .I have fitted a sports suspension kit to a mk2 golf I once owned,and was able to use all the original stuff except for the Bump stops at the rear 8) .This time round I'd rather not get my hands dirty (+numerous other reasons) :roll:

I have found the following parts on the GSF site http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

45723H Rear bump stops £11.50

45737K Strut top mounting kit £11.00

45722C Susp.Top Mount.-RE Lower £2.50

45722B Susp.Top Mount.-RE Upper £2.50

I take it you have H&R with Koni's,how does the ride height circlip work,what is its purpose :?:

I take it you have H&R with Koni's,how does the ride height circlip work,what is its purpose :?:

Indeed I do :lol:

Only the rear Top Adjustable dampers are ride height adjustable. Non TA rear dampers are fixed height and damping. I would heartily recommend you spend the extra £8 per damper and get the TA rears too.

There is a circlip on the rear TA damper that gives you 5 height adjustments. The reason I mentioned moving the circlip to the centre detent is that ensures the ride height is even, front to back. If you install the dampers as supplied, the rear end will sit lower.

Kev

I've got koni/hr suspension. I remember when I fitted them that I had to enlarge the metal disks on the rear which sit inbetween the top mounts so the thread on the damper would fit through. Also I have cut out the plastic at the bottom of the rear speakers so I can adjust the dampers without having to remove the speaker shelves, just the speakers themselves.

Thanks for the tip about the circlip,I do intend to get TA's all round. 8)

I have somewhere locally that can realign my suspension after fitting

I don't have rear speakers fitted so that will be a plus then :)

I suppose a quality drill will enlargen the hole for the spring caps at the rear if nesceasry.