Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

High oil temps or are they?

Hi

Got a 92 G60.

Oil temps are really high, and i don't believe them.

Takes 3 miles of normal driving to get to 80 degs. Another mile and it's 120.

Water is always around 95 deg mark when warmed up.

If I put my key in the ignition after a long run the oil temp is 95degs, if I start the engine then it's 135degs.

My readout fluctuated between 126, 134, 142, 150, 140, 126. In just a few seconds today.

I took the car out of gear (so low revs) while going down a long hill today and the temperature increased. (doesn't make sense)

I then dropped a couple of gears and planted my right foot and the temperature decreased. (eh?)

Finally the fan comes on when the readout displays 120degs.

Anyway, I assume there is some sensor somewhere telling my digital readout what the temps are and I think this is at fault.

Appreciate if someone can read between the lines here and confirm or rubbish my conclusion.

Thanks for your help.

T

P.S. Not using any oil or coolant either.

Hi

Thks for the reply.

Can I get this from GSF or should I buy a VAG one?

Don't want to sound dumb but seeing as I don't have a haynes where is the sensor, what does it look like and is it easy to change?

Thanks

T

I bought VAG - not had good experience of other senders - as always, its not cheap, I think about £15-18

Two minute job to fit, it sits on top of the oil filter housing, might need to move a pipe or two to one side but no need to remove anything. Its got a single wire running from it. Its a tiny little brass thing that just screws in

I know it's a long shot but you don't have a part number for it do you?

My local stealer was very friendly and helpful but ultimately knew even less than I do.

Ta

T

Found it.

Cleaned it up just in case there is a bad connection and will give it one more day before I replace it.

Part number: 1H0 919 563

The date on it was 4/91 so assume it was the original one and it's days are probably numbered.

T

Get a VAG one IMO , i've had problems with temp senders from elsewhere

Thanks

Now I've got the part number it'll be a lot easier at the stealers.

Can't be more than £20 really.

Ta

T

Fitted the oil temp sender today.

Very little change, still fluctuating temps but a little lower now, settles around 126 while at a constant 80mph.

I'm not fully confident the thermostat and water pump works as it should. The whole cooling system thing just confuses the hell out of me. The water temps are fine, I am using zero oil and water but the radiator bottom hose is rarely hot (?), the fan works on both speeds both by shorting the connections and by unplugging the fan until the rad gets really hot then plugging it back in to see the fast speed work then slow then off.

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in somewhere.

I just can't have any fun with the car if I'm scared of the temps all the time.

Anyone know of any decent garages in the Farnham area?

Ta

T

Hi

Update.

Fitted my uprated headlight loom yesterday and changed a few earth leads from the battery as well. Found one of the leads was a litle loose.

Anyway, took the car for a run today and the oil took much longer to get up to temperature and stayed around 102 for ages.

Then after a nice thrash it maxed out at 110.

Great I thought, managed to fix it without even trying.

Anyway, on the way home the oil pressure light came on 3 times.

!st time it was at 40mph on straight road with oil temp reading of 102, it went out after 3 secs.

2nd time it was just after a roundabout oil temp at 110 and wouldn't stop so I pulled over for 2 mins.

3rd time was 200 yrds further down the road where I stopped for 10 mins and it was fine for the 5 mile journey home.

Oil level is on max.

Recently changed genuine oil filter.

water temperature at a steady 95.

The engine rocker cover was very hot to touch but it wasn't like I could see steam or hot air rising from the engine when I lifted the bonnet.

Any ideas?

Nearly a good day today, might have turned out to be a right git of a day now.

Thanks

T