Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

brake change rant - warning, long mutterings

why is everything always more complicated than you initially think.

(1) my brakes were worn and starting to judder (pads OK but disks on wear limit).

(2) I know, I'll take this opportunity to get some 280mm calipers on there - managed get some for a bargain price - all good so far

(3) offer carriers and calipers up - B*$£^(*S! - I've just aquired a 288mm caliper and carrier :x that'll be no good then on 4 stud hubs

(4) In the mean time I'll fit some standard 256's again, got some pads free (some delivery cock up at dad's work) and some Brembo disks for 25 quid the pair - bargain me thinks!

(5) strip the brakes down, nothing siezed - good, offer up the new pads and disks, all slots in, push back caliper pistons :mad: just wont clear the thickness of the pads and disks :x :mad:

(6) check the disk and pad thickness with a gauge, disks fine 20mm, pads = 1mm too wide each of them :? :x :mad: - according to haynes manual which seems to be right. The pads are Lockheed, almost identical part number to the backs of the old ones and have Corrado on the label???

(7) sunday late pm, so I'm forced to fit either totally dodgy brakes or one new pad and one old one, which of course requires sanding flat and level to work flush against the new disk surface :roll:

(8) now looking forward to doing it all over again with the right pads, or finally tracking down some 280's, such a satisfying days work...

David - just sand the 1mm off, won't take too long...

I started to do that and even with my best efforts using paint stripping sandpaper all I managed to do was create huge amounts of dust and still not get near the right clearance - I gave up as I was getting bored :lol:

I did some rear ones once using emery cloth on a flat surface, didn't take more than a few mins but I think I only needed half a mil off them...