Sign in to follow this  
nic-clark

buying a corrado?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Corrado, but wanted some tips on which one to go for and what to look out for. I have owned VW's all of my life - mainly beetles and golfs, and have always wanted to get a corrado.

I'm looking around the 4k mark and would like to get one that is as original as possible in black, blue or silver! Is this possible?

Should I go for a VR or a 2.016v - Would love a VR but a vw mechanic I know has warned that they don't go through MoT's very easily because of emmissions?!

An advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Nic

Welcome to the forum!

Not an expert on vr's but never heard much on them failing emissions. Your budget seems good for a vr and if you look in the wiki (knowledge base top of the page) you should find the buyers guide very helpful. :D

For that money you should be lookint at a VR6.

There is nothing wrong with the 2 litre, i had one and i just ended up wanting the VR6.

My advice would be price up insurance for both and go from there. There isnt a massive amount in it with the running costs and if anything the VR is slightly better on fuel than the Valver (on the motorway).

I also havent heard anything about emissions problems.

nic-clark, you should def get a tidy vr for the money.. i wouldnt reckon youd get a good return in a couple of years by comparison on a 16v.. however, if you used half your budget it would give you room for customizing..

Definately the VR. The roar of the engine is worth the 4k itself :)

I've never had any problems with my VR and emissions and havent heard anyone one here saying that they have.

Welcome to the forum.

- Ross

Definately a VR. You could get something pretty tidy for that money. The 16v seems to be depreciating terribly at the mo, whereas the VR will always hold it's value better.

don't know anything about std VR's having emissions problems....sounds like bull to me..

As the others say, a decent VR shouldbe yours for that money but check insurance first, then work out what you can get...