Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Which brake pads?

Just after some quick feedback:

want some cheap but good pads to compliment my new Pagid 8-Groove discs (front) which I should be fitting next week sometime.

So far Pagid Fast Road seem the best option- under £50 for 4 from GSF.

Others are:

EBC Kevlar - £25 front only

EBC greenstuff - £35 front only

What should I go for?

Cheers

Pagid pads are OK for road use but I had a set on my last 16v Corrado that fell to pieces. The backing came adrift and caused them to sit wonky in the calipers which was not good news on lap3 of a track day. They do have plenty of bite for the road but I am a bit wary of them for track use on the heavier Corrado (they were fine on my previous lightweight Golf).

My curernt pad of choice is the Mintex 1144 which is great for road and track and resists all sorts of abuse as well as hauling the car to a stop noticably quicker than other pads I have used (when hot and cold). I have used them to good effect in combination with the Pagid grooved discs that you have. Not the cheapest though at £45 a pair but worth it.

I'm using Pagid pads and they stop really fast but they are very dusty.

I've heard really good things about the Porterfield R4-S pads I'm going to try those next

Skye

I have just fitted EBC greenstuff on EBC TG discs,still bedding in at the Mo,should be at +300 miles by Sunday.I am intending to update an earlier post of mine"Best method to bed in new brakes?"once they are bed in. :)

I've got some greenstuff to put on. Came recommended from all my cossie driving friends.

And yes, I do live in Dagenham ESSEX. Home of Ford. :twisted:

God i hated Pagid pads!!!!! prefered the STANDARD ones!!!!!

:? VW use Pagid!, they are an OE supplier.. the VW prices are cheaper than GSF with discount but they don't sell the Fast Road variety.

Andy,

I've got pagid fast road on standard front discs; you will no doubt remember how they worked :shock:

I don't recommend pagid. Everyone recommended pagid pads with zimmerman discs but after a while the discs warped and the pads hardened and the brakes barely worked. I use ferodo from halfords with oe discs.

Well i found that initially, they were ok. thought they just needed bedded in, cause they didnt work as well as i hoped they would. once bedded in, i found i still didnt like em. approaching one round about in particular, on a long stretch of dual carriage way, leading out of down, i always had to tap the brakes whils still on throttle to generate heat in them. if i didnt, they were rubbish. unless they were hot, they did not perform at all. And like corradovr6sc, says, near the end, they barley worked. This was on My Tarox Japan sport discs. on ce i tested some Tarox FR pads, well the difference was like going from Budget Ventus Tyres that came with my wheels to my Pirelli P7000's. un believeable. Performance i would of expected from "performane" parts. More expensive, but worth it. I found the OE pads that were in my car was as good as the pagids hot, but better from cold too.

Well I am +300 miles on my newly fitted EBC discs and green stuff pads and will admit I have been treating the brakes very lightly up to now, not even normal braking,so I plan to start braking normally up to +500 miles then I will consider some later braking tests. :evil:

I can say up to now they are superior than my oe,although effective from cold seem to bite harder when warmed up.I am getting some brake dust as I am still bedding in,hope this reduces by +1000 miles.

There is no sqealing or other high pitch sounds but you can definately hear the breaks working compared to the oe,this is probably due to the grooves.

Have to say they look great also. :D

Will post back +500 miles.

Just updating now after +2000 miles,and I can definately say they are a reccommended combination,stopping power is great,still better when warm which suits my style of driving to a tee,brake dust is negligable,no judder,did squeal a bit after a cv boot split throwing grease everywhere but seems to have cleared up abit now. :D

Cheers for all the comments guys! :D Still undecided though :?

Checked my pads, and there's still plenty of wear left- is it OK to leave them on when I replace the discs, or should I replace the lot? I'd rather leave the pads as I'm a bit skint at the mo!

Thanks

If your going to the trouble and expense of fitting new discs to improve your braking,then why trip yourself up at the final jump,for a few quid,better to hang on until you can afford it.What's a few weeks waiting compared to months of annoyance because your brakes didn't bed in right on your old pads and have now F****d up your new discs. :mad: :wink:

I used EBC greenstuff on my MK 2 GTi 8v. Brilliant! On two occaions the front discs glowed in the dark with enthusiastic driving on private roads. No fade! They did produce alot of dust, which was a pain( 14in BBS ). Great pad though. They were used with P6000 tyres and SPAX allround. Loved that car, but now it is a very different shape to other MK2's. Ah well, things you do when you are young.

Right, have just ordered a set of Pagid Fast Road pads from GSF.

I know they've had a couple of negative comments :? , but a lot of people have praised them too :D Should think they'll go perfectly with the Pagid discs too.

Only £43 for 4 :D

Thanks for all you tips/advice 8)

And yes Chris, I think we were all thankful they were working well that day.... :shock: :lol:

:shock: It's a small world I too had a Mk2 GTI 8v,with spax adj allround,15" tsw stealth venoms,handling was superb if a bit harsh.My only regret was not upgrading the brakes.

I was just pleased it went to a good home.

Here's a pic for nostalga, :cry:

Dan,

Will let ya know- getting them fitted asap. Too busy to do it myself, so I'll get Kwikfit or somewhere similar to do them :)