Sign in to follow this  
cata

Help me guess the hp!

I'm flying across 4 provinces to buy and drive this vr back in two days. Here is the engine part of the mods, and a picture.

Will be sure to take my own pictures for a member's gallery and get a proper dyno hopefully shortly after it's in my posession.

My guess is 195-205 HP, let me hear your more educated predictions...

Engine: (as written by owner)

-2.9L Kobenshl...(sp?) pistons

-Total Seal Gapless Piston Rings

-Knife-edged crank

-Bottom end balanced and blueprinted to 9000 rpms

-Turn 2 CCH/Schrick BVH

-Turn 2 VR6 Crank Pulley

-Turn 2 CAI

-Turn 2 Stage IV Motor Mounts

-With the exeption of the Rods and crank, all internals are new including bearings, timing chains, tensioners, seals, gaskets, etc etc

-New waterpump

-Red Samco Hoses

-New Rad and Radfan (less than 10 months)-

-Total Engine Rebuild has less than 5000 Kms (I think even less than 2000 Kms) on it

-Brand New Optima Redtop

-new alternator

-new starter

Transmission:

-Peloquin LSD

-Completely Rebuilt Transmission

-Lightened Flywheel

Well a normal Vr over here in Canada (2.8L) only sees 178Hp as far as I know, but this is now a 2.9L, but I'm aware that without FI mods hp gains are small.

Don't get me wrong though, I always wanted a Vr and it's not all about HP figures.

[edit] Sorry for posting in the wrong section, but didn't think it was engine-bay relevant.

That's something I'm confused about too, but the guy who sold it to him less than a year ago did all this, and the current seller is clueless too.

After searching archived content on vortex, the car has a long list of repairs that promises a hopefully trouble-free ownership, while I'm paying it off at least...

Are we talking hp at the wheels or flywheel ?

Each engine is different after all.... and for some reason I have it in my head that the 2.9 is less powerful than the 2.8 But then again I'm a G60 guy so what would I know :lol:

Thanks, as far as I know, the 2.9L engine is called ABV and is rated for 190HP, and we are talking athe the crank, it will make things too difficult to estimate at the wheels.

CAI-Cold air intake, if you didn't know.

Are we talking hp at the wheels or flywheel ?

Each engine is different after all.... and for some reason I have it in my head that the 2.9 is less powerful than the 2.8 But then again I'm a G60 guy so what would I know :lol:

NO!!!!

2.8 AAA = 174 horses (about 184 if OBD2)

2.9 ABV = 190 horses

I know, I'm flying there in a day and a half and have been waiting for three weeks now...it will be a good drive back :D

O, so that's what that means then...that will definetly add a few ponies and eat fuel a little faster.

double-6s,

BVH - Big Valve Head

CAI - Cold Air Intake

:wink:

Ah - big valve head! A Schrick one too! I was just asking the other day if these actually existed!

Lovely engine you're getting there mate :)

wow, now that just made my day. Surprizingly I didn't find anything posted about the head in the archives. There are many many many things that were taken care of, that's the reason why I'm flying across the country for it :wink:

Sadly though, after just a week or two of enjoyment it's back to the Chavalier for the winter :(

Well whatever the horespower may be, she howls and pulls in any gear like it's on steroids. Double 6s do your coilovers make the ride softer than a spring/strut setup? might look into it since I hate having 17's on her right now but they just look so good...

If the engine is running sweet then you should easily be around the 220Bhp mark, a cheapish mod would be to fit an enlarged throttle body then get it mapped to make use of all that extra air shes breathing.