Sign in to follow this  
Jez

Insurance/Immobilisers

Hello, can anyone help me with this?

I have recently insured my Storm VR6 with Adrian Flux. However, despite telling them it has an alarm fitted from new by VAG they won't cover me for theft since I don't have a certificate that says I have at least a cat 2 immobiliser fitted and have told me to get one fitted.

Now correct me if Im wrong, but I know for a fact that all Storms came fitted with an immobiliser as standard as Ive got the original sales brochure.

Anyone know wheth it's cat 2 approved before I have to waste 200quid on something Ive already got just to keep them happy? :pale:

I thought they only requested certification of things like that if a claim was made.

?

both Norwich union and admiral recognised my standard fit VW alarm immobilser and didn't request any proof of installation etc

have any more info on how the immobiliser works? i might consider it for my '90.. no alarms in pre-'91s in north america..

Do a search on Thatcham approved security in the UK using google.

Basically a Category 2 immobiliser has to 'cut' two circuits to prevent the car being driven away.

Nearly always the starter motor and fuel pump feeds. The starter can be got around by push starting but th efuel pump is a lot more trouble.

There are rules drawn up for the required standad of fitment of alarms and immobilisers. All joints need to be soldered. The Cuts for the need to have at least 30cm of the original wire removed. You should have to remove 2 pieces of trim to get to the control unit.

http://www.metasystem.co.uk/ http://www.gt-autoalarm.co.uk/ http://www.cobra.it/

Here's a few links to some alarm manufacturers

Cheers

Gavin

Cheers lads, I shall give them a call tommorow and see what they say as I only told them about the alarm system.

Ill let you know how it goes, may need more help! Could always phone VW and find out if its approved.

Jez, sorry mate but standard fit security on the Corrado is NOT Thatcham approved. Now, this can be a bit of a minefield with insurers: - If you speak to a salesperson and they ask about security, and you give an answer like, "yeah, it's a good system, factory fitted, the previous owner had not trouble insuring it..." the rep may say "fair enough," make an assumption (which they shouldn't do but it happens) that it's CAT2 and move onto the next question.

When you get your documents through it will say "CAT2 security fitted." The fact that frequenty the insurers do not ask for proof of installation when you take the policy out, means they are taking it "on trust" that you meet the criteria. However if you need to make a theft claim, the insurance company is entitled to ask you to provide proof of this there and then. If you dont have a certificate of installation, and if VW can't back you up re the standard system (and they can't), goodbye claim payout...

Good news is you can get a Meta Cat2 immobiliser fitted for about £100 which will not neccessitate you changing the alarm.

Joe

umm mine is a factory fit alarm and is a cat 1 alarm which is recognised by insurance companies,ive even got paperwork to prove it

Well the standard didn't cut it...perhaps there was a factory fitted option? What year Corrado Dazzy and is there a VAG model number for the immobiliser? Quite interested by this...

Joe