Sign in to follow this  
Mr Mokaliscious

G60 advice most appreciated

I'm relatively new to the forum and would really appreciate any tips and advice when buying a G60.

When buying my mk2 valver it wasn't difficult, just looked out for the usual.....! As this is my 1st car with a supercharger I want to be 100% confident what to look out for, also I'm wanting the best performance (obviously :wink: ) so I assume a stage4 supercharger will be best!!??!

Sorry for being 'the new guy' but I thought if ever there was a place to get good honest advice it would be here.

Without a doubt I will be buying my 1st rado from this site and there are quite a few V.nice examples, however once again I require the knowledge before I make any mistakes!!

Any comments are much appreciated.

GREAT FORUM BY THE WAY :)

hi mate. welcome

the one thing to be sure of is a recent service. Darren@gwerks is the favourite. jabba were the past masters but seem to have let work slip on G60.

ask for a certificate to show rebuild times or if not then after you have bought then send it in for a check over and build if needed.

the rest is 8v GTi really. so expect valve stem seals and broken water flanges.

G60's kill engine monuts too so it may be worth budgeting a solid front monut in.

my personal opinion on performance is on a good charger a 65mm pulley, chip and maybe bigger injectors with a front mount and a decent exhaust will give you what you need for bout 500 quid. the next 2-3k will get aboout 50hp.

how much you looking to spend chap also there is a buying guide in the wiki which is on the forum main page down the left hand side caled knowledge base go in there have a butchers!

G60's kill engine monuts too so it may be worth budgeting a solid front monut in.

Please don't buy a SOLID front engine mount, I've just removed mine. Speak to G-Werks about their uprated front mounts instead!!!!!

Please don't buy a SOLID front engine mount, I've just removed mine. Speak to G-Werks about their uprated front mounts instead!!!!!

why not?

Are the corrado front mounts the same as the mk2 gti/G60? if so how about a vibratech one?

My solid front engine mount was fine. The bar the engine mount bolts to is actually rubber mounted to the chassis anyway so it's not like having a truly solid front mount.

I'd look out for good charger history and personally wouldn't get a charger with a 65mm pulley. Put it this way, the service interval for a blower with a 68mm pulley is 40K miles. The service interval for a charger with a 65mm pulley is 20K miles. Read into that what you will. I know many will disagree but at £800 a pop, you don't want to be shelling out for a new charger. If you like a car with a Jabba charger, budget in for it to be cracked open by someone who knows what they're doing (G-Werks or JMR) as they're famous for inconsistent porting and not replacing the exhaust end oil seals.

I'd look out for a sound shell above all. Engine and suspension are generally easily replaced as they're bolt on but bodywork is more costly to rectify. Walk away if you see rust, Corrado's were very well built in their day and rust shouldn't be an issue. Also, body parts are quite pricey, especially if you go VAG.

As you know, reds tend to fade but being a VW enthusiast anyway you probably know that!

Common problems with Corrados are as follows:

> Rear beam bushes go hard and will need replacing if this hasn't been done recently. (with VAG item, not poly cr@p)

> Sunroofs can fail as the mechanisn is quite delicate (they weren't actually made by VW). Too much grease is a bad thing with 'Rado sunroofs.

> Wing mount intercoolers can leak as they're stuck right down in front of the wheel arch and attract lots of salt and grime. They also have plastic end "tanks" which can leak.

> The spoilers will often only work on the button- more often that not it's down to stereo wiring. These cars are likley to have been through a few owners by now, each fitting their own stereos so the wiring can often be a bit of a snakes wedding.

> Wiring on 15 year old cars can be a bit dodgy with moisture working its way up insulation. Check all electrics.

> Pay attention to the gearbox too and make sure shifts are smooth. The G60's cable change is hardly the last word in precision but it shouldn't be difficult to locate gears. The cables can go out of kilter making shifting tricky but this can be solved by using a special VAG tool to realign it all. Some and not all G60 'boxes were fitted with a shift weight, this drastically improved shift quality. They like clutches too so check if it's been replaced, preferably with a VR clutch.

> The 8v engine is damn strong, all it needs is regular oil changes and it's likley to be OK. Bear in mind the frequency of previous oil changes as the blower shares its oil supply with the engine so long intervals will accelerate supercharger wear. Obviously cambelt interval is 60K like most cars and the tensioner should be replaced at the same time.

> G60's run hot so if you're looking at a tweaked one an aftermarket oil cooler shows a careful owner. The standard oil "cooler" is complete c0ck and can corrode to such an extent that the water jacket fails and causes coolant and oil to mix which is a Bad Thing. Signs of this starting to happen are a white crusty residue where the oil filter bolts on. (water escaping and exaporating quickly)

> Rear calipers sieze frequently and are best replaced with Mk 3 or 4 Golf GTi calipers which bolt straight on. A sign of this is a weak handbrake.

> When driving the car make sure the car pulls strongly from low revs cleanly thorughout the rev range. It runs out of puff at about 5-5.5K RPM as the head struggles to flow at those revs but it should pull in a typically supercharger-esqu linear fashion.

Test the boost using this guide (taken from somewhere on this forum):

How to test your boost levels - UK spec cars

1. Start Engine

2. Move the MFA selector to "2"

3. Press and hold the MFA end button (keep holding)

4. Stop engine

5. Start engine

6. Release the MFA end button.

7. Press the MFA End button one time.

You should now see 450-800 readings fluctuating with idle. Anything higher than 800 is not right (vacuum leak). Much less than 450 is probably too much timing advance.

Go run your car!!! 3rd and 4th gear to REDLINE. Carefully note the highest #'s you've got.

A pullied charger should not make less than 11.6psi, and even so, thats weak. A Stock charger should make ~~11psi in perfect shape!

EURO Hg(#'s of boost/vacuum) Comments

200 -23.7

400 -17.8

600 -11.9

800 -5.9

1000 0 (Atmosphere- ala no boost, charger is bypassed)

1200 2.9 psi (Your charger is dead or big boost leak)

1400 5.8 psi (Your charger is about dead or big boost leak)

1600 8.7 psi (Your charger needs new apex strips or big boost leak)

1800 11.6 psi (Great for stock pulley, Probably needs new apex strips if 68mm pulley)

2000 14.5 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on stock charger)

2200 17.4 psi (Great for 68mm pulley on heavily ported charger, hold on to your ass fast!!) Rambo

2000 and up folks need to be careful with fueling, as the programming maps end at about 2000 on the ecu Smile Dynotuning, and air/fuel/egt gauge, and custom chip recommended.

Can't think of anything esle :)

"Sounds" probably being the operative word ;)

Most of it's based on experience and what happened to my G60! :D

Have a nice weekend :drinking: